3DCoat Forums

UV Sets

Keating

Hello,

I'm a new user to 3d Coat, and I've been having a little trouble. The UV area of the documentation is a little sparse, so I thought I would come here to find a solution.

Essentially, I'm modelling and UVing an object inside of Houdini, then I'm bringing it inside of 3dcoat for painting. I've set up the UV's so that I have a couple of separate areas ( 0-1 space, 1-2, etc ). Anyway, when I bring the model into 3dcoat, the UV's appear to be fine ( according to the UV editor ) and they retain their original layout. However, when I start to actually paint, the UVpreview window has all of the UV sets overlapping.

Is there a way to separate the UV's for painting? To retain the texture resolution I need across the surface of these objects, I definately need separate UV sets on a single object.

Thanks!

ps. Oh, also, 3dcoat is absolutely fantastic.

Okay, I've done a couple of tests with groups and I can't seem to get 3dcoat to recognize the uv layout from Houdini.

Is there a way to create the sets directly inside of 3dcoat? The UV pane is recognizing the layout, b ut that's not translating to the paint window for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hmm.. When you import the model do you see multiple UV sets listed like this or just one?

2010-03-06_1631.png

Unfortunately no. That's something I've been requesting for a while. Can you perhaps open your model in another program and save it back out? Maybe Houdini writers OBJ files in a strange way. If nothing else, Blender is free.

Unfortunately no. That's something I've been requesting for a while. Can you perhaps open your model in another program and save it back out? Maybe Houdini writers OBJ files in a strange way. If nothing else, Blender is free.

Oh, that's a real shame. I'm sure Houdini doesn't do anything strange to .obj files, and the uv layout seems to be retained. This a real head scratcher.

Does anyone else have a suggestion? Any Houdini users out there?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I too have wanted to create multiple sets a number of times. Have you filed a feature request for this one? Or a poll in the forums?

This is a feature that I need in 3DC to save many steps and tricks to get multiple UV's into 3DC because I haven't seen how to create them, now I know why.. :-(