3DCoat Forums

Auto retopology question

Mykyl

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I want to use the auto retopology on my character I created outside of 3dcoat. If I import it as a reference image it comes in perfectly for me to do all of the topology manually which is fine but I want to use for the initial stage the auto retopology. My issue is whether I use merge to bring it in and convert it to a voxel object (which ends up a huge mess with missing sections even if I use close holes etc) or I use import for retopo I cannot get the import to work as well as just importing a reference model. e.g if I import for retopo the fingers are missing.

Why can it be imported as a reference mesh perfectly every time yet for all other imports it seems impossible to get it in right? Is there a way to trigger auto retopology on a reference mesh?

Thank you

Mike R

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I want to use the auto retopology on my character I created outside of 3dcoat. If I import it as a reference image it comes in perfectly for me to do all of the topology manually which is fine but I want to use for the initial stage the auto retopology. My issue is whether I use merge to bring it in and convert it to a voxel object (which ends up a huge mess with missing sections even if I use close holes etc) or I use import for retopo I cannot get the import to work as well as just importing a reference model. e.g if I import for retopo the fingers are missing.

Why can it be imported as a reference mesh perfectly every time yet for all other imports it seems impossible to get it in right? Is there a way to trigger auto retopology on a reference mesh?

Thank you

Mike R

I have only just tried auto retope in v3.3.13 and it appears to be broken as I had fairly decent results in previous builds.

The above was using the Import for Auto Retope function to import an .obj file.

• Advanced Member

Well further to my question. It imports just the same as a reference mesh if I do not change any settings. I guess somehow I need to find some information on exactly what these settings actually do.

I need to play around though as the auto retopology did not quite work this last time. Twisted topology around the fingers and when trying to manually edit the topology what was being highlighted was not what was in the viewport. I have seen that a few times but ignored it in the past. Its a bit weird.

I am using 3.3.13 on a mac.

Cheers

Mike R