3DCoat Forums

Painting depth on normal maps

kritech

Hi This is my first post.Thanks for a great program.I´m having problems painting detail depth on the normal map in paint mode.As i recall It was possible some versions ago.I have exported to the paint room from retopo with a nice uv set.All my layers are there ,but when i paint on the normal layer I dont get any depth when i update in photoshop.( or any other layer) I seem only to be able to paint colour and spec.Is this a bug?

Well if you have a normal map layer you can't paint depth directly onto it, you should paint your depth on another layer if you look at the Texture UV Editor from the Texture menu you can see the normal map is created in real time and any depth you paint will be exported as part of it.

http://screencast.com/t/wVTxsbld3Py

Thanks for the vid.Sorry I should of defined the problem a bit more.So here goes..When I paint on one of the other layers I can see the depth working as it should.The problem is when I open it in photoshop it does not show up.(Ctrl P)However photoshop aknowledges a change and resultingly asks me if I want to update, but no difference. After playing with different workarounds yesterday I discovered that if I export Obj in paint room with all layers to my project folder as TGA´s I can then click on my TGA normal map and it will prompt to update and then show the depth changes...strange.It used to do it on the PSD with Ctrl P but maybe this is a bug?Ive tried it with Photoshop CS2 + 4.but no difference.