3DCoat Forums

No CUDA acceleration with my GTX 470

motkoko

Hi, i'm a new user in 3d coat

My 3dcoat 3.505 dx cuda 64bit trial

I try to install 260.99 and 263.06 toolkit 3.2, 2.2 but it't not work

No difference when i turn on or off CUDA

it's lag about 1M tri and more

I use Nvidia inspector and gpu z to check gpu load it ~ 0 % ==> I think no CUDA acceleration with my GTX 470 card

Please help me !

THanks in advance :)

• Reputable Contributor

Hi, i'm a new user in 3d coat

My 3dcoat 3.505 dx cuda 64bit trial

I try to install 260.99 and 263.06 toolkit 3.2, 2.2 but it't not work

No difference when i turn on or off CUDA

it's lag about 1M tri and more

I use Nvidia inspector and gpu z to check gpu load it ~ 0 % ==> I think no CUDA acceleration with my GTX 470 card

Please help me !

THanks in advance :)

Andrew said this last build or two that CUDA is not optimized. He just finished upgrading the brush engine in Volume mode and has more work to do with CUDA. I just upgraded to a GTX 470 as well (from a GTX 275), and didn't really notice a substantial difference. I'm thinking the issue with CUDA is why...as there isn't a huge difference outside of the number of processor cores. To be honest, I'm not really sure to what degree the GPU is actually involved in the brushing performance. The manual description of what CUDA does is rather vague, except that it does mention that it comes into play when using masks and materials. I wish Andrew would offer more clarification (and add that information to the manual).

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for reply AbnRanger

After a few time used

I like 3D coat and voxel it's freedom, but performance is trouble for me

I can't work with large brush and high res it' lag :(

how's max brush size you can use with no lag at 1x res and 4x res ?

I'll make a quick tutorial/demo on the Voxel sculpting performance. It's VERY fast if you use the right tools in the right situation. EVERY handy-dandy tool always seems to have it's share of benefits and drawbacks. ZBrush and Mudbox have their share as well as 3D Coat.

In the Voxel Room you have Volume mode, Surface Mode and then Multi-Res. Volume mode is very fast up to a given resolution and brush radius. I just upgraded my desktop to 16GB of RAM, a 6 core CPU and a newer NVidia card. There is some performance gain, but on the whole...the workflow remains the same. Large brush radius' in Volume mode, with a relatively high poly count (15-30mill) is just not going to be that fast. But it's really not much different than the multi-res workflow in Mudbox or ZBrush. There is no way I would try to make large scale changes in MB with several levels of subdivision. That's why you have the different levels to quickly step up and down in.

In Voxel Sculpting, those kinds of changes are lightning quick when you cache your layer and make the adjustments to the proxy. I think it's just going to take some time for people to get used to the workflow, and find out what tools and brushes work in a given situation. If I came in fresh, and tried to sculpt on a higher res object in Voxel mode, I'd be a bit disappointed too...but that's why both Surface mode and then Multi-Res were added to the Voxel Room. To get over those hurdles.