3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 3.5.10 works differently with older .3b files?

Shawn Driscoll

• Advanced Member

When I open a .3b file I have from a year ago, I don't get the "Show Displaced Mesh" option in the View menu. But if I import the OBJ used from that same time, I do see that option listed. Just curious if anyone else had noticed this. Do older .3b files make 3DCoat change the way it now operates in version 3.5.10?

• Advanced Member

There is an entire thread about this right below yours. Most likely the same problem.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7349

So it's a new bug then. Because I'm using PPP in both cases. That's all I use. So opening a .3b file doesn't remind 3DCoat what mode you were in when you saved the file. Importing an OBJ gives you the option to view displacement. But opening a .3b file that used PPP does not give you the option to view displacement anymore.

• Advanced Member

When you load the 3B does it act like it's in PPP mode? Like not deforming the mesh?

I can't turn on bump when I paint. It is stuck in displacement view which I can't turn off. No option for that. I can turn off the depth, just can't turn off the depth view.

But if I import an OBJ in PPP mode, I can choose to view the brush's bump or displacement while painting.

ADDED:

I'm tring again now. This time when I open the .3B file, I can see the displacement when I paint. But I do not have the option still to turn off the displacement view. So I need to set depth to 0% or turn it off if I just want to paint regular. But if I just want to paint with bumps... confusing. I don't use .3B format very much. I mostly work with OBJ where this sort of problem doesn't happen. Would be nice though to save a project as .3B and not have to worry when re-opening is all.

Is there a sign somewhere in 3DCoat that will flatout tell me what mode I'm currently in?

I posted in paint bugs thread.