3DCoat Forums

Getting more out of Voxels/Scene management questions

Roger_K

• Advanced Member

I would like to ask how 3DC assigns resolution when a object is merged into the scene.

Is the bounding box of the object divided into a normalised grid or is the object dropped into a world grid and voxelised from there.

Does having empty space in a layer waste memory?

A working example of this is an open doorway, am i better off splitting the door frame into 3 seperate volumes (left, right, top) so each objects bounding volume contains a minimum of open space. or is 3DC super clever about this

• Reputable Contributor

I would like to ask how 3DC assigns resolution when a object is merged into the scene.

Is the bounding box of the object divided into a normalised grid or is the object dropped into a world grid and voxelised from there.

Does having empty space in a layer waste memory?

A working example of this is an open doorway, am i better off splitting the door frame into 3 seperate volumes (left, right, top) so each objects bounding volume contains a minimum of open space. or is 3DC super clever about this

I don't know specifically...just that there is a given amount per grid and that the voxels are either turned on or off. Increasing resolution just multiplies the number per grid, naturally. With that increase means 3DC has to further tessellate the triangulated mesh that contains the voxels (like shrink wrap I suppose). I have found lately that a scene seems rather bloated after doing a bit of work and that even caching a number of layers doesn't reduce the RAM levels as much as you'd expect. I would then save the file and observe just how much RAM was being used at that point (with Windows Task Manager open). If I close 3D Coat and reopen it and the file, I've seen a drop as dramatic as 6-7GB's go all the way down to about 2.75 GB's. There is a HUGE memory leak or 3DC just likes to (needlessly) hoard memory. In this example, I reduced a 34 million poly model down to 12 mill (where it starts in the video), and 3DC never released all the RAM after the reduction. That's when I turned on the screen recording, and caught it doing the same thing when reducing down to 2-3 million. There was a gap of roughly 3GB's!

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Default/media/1a0f2706-694e-44c3-bde4-020a74e6b301

I reported it before recently a few times and Andrew said he's fixed it, but it's still occurring...so I sent another bug report yesterday. This needs to get fixed ASAP.