3DCoat Forums

Scratch disk option??

Richard A.

• Advanced Member

Hiya,

I have the latest update to 3D Coat, just installed it a few hours ago. I'm interested, once again, in learning how to texture using this program. I'm interested in texturing a model named Michael 4 from DAZ3D. I've imported him, left most of the default options but I did change the default texture size to 4000 (or what ever it is, it's large) (nice update by the way, seemed to do that for all the rest of his zones throughout his body) In any case, I imported in a skin swatch to use to paint the bare coat on him before getting into detailing him. I was going along fine but then I got to his head and BAM .... freeze and after that it was like that when I got him rotated to start on the back side of his body. So my thoughts are my core or memory must be sucked up and there is no scratch disk for the program to work from to release memory. I'm guessing there are other tricks to make this work better but I'm a newbie, even though I've had a license for quite a while. Life gets in the way and the 3D stuff gets shoved aside. SO now I've made a little room in my life for this and wanted to re-explore trying to use 3D Coat for my texturing needs.

Is there a way to use a fill tool using the swatch or do I just have to paint it on slowly since it's loaded as a projection background??

Thanks for the help. If none is going to come I'll just try to suss it out myself I guess.

Richard

• Advanced Member

OK, I figured out how to lighten the load so to speak. The depth channel was turned on full blast so once I got that turned off completely and waited for the program to process all that then things started moving along. I do notice though that my system is quite slow after I've saved and exited the program. I have a modern system. Win 7, 64 bit, i7 930 2.93Ghz processor with 6 gigs of DDR 3 RAM and all that, plenty of disk space too, PLENTY! Not top of the line but I think it SHOULD be OK to run apps like this. ZBrush and Sculptris run fine so there is something I'm either not going about correctly or a setting that I need to tweak to get it more in line with what my system can do. Not sure That's why I'm asking!

Thanks again!