3DCoat Forums

voxel object as primitive?

Gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

Hi

another maybe very noobish question:

I'm trying to create an armor for a character at the moment. To speed up the sculpting (and maybe also learn something for future projects) I sculpted some small details as a separate 3b voxel object. Now I'd like to import it, but as some kind of primitive, which gets mirrored along the symmetry (so that its placed again symmetrical on the other side of the armor)...

Is there any way to do that? Primitives are only *.obj files as far as I understood?

thanks for any help

gian-Reto

• Advanced Member

You can create a folder and call it "nurnies" or "my primatives" or what ever, put you obj.'s in it. Then put the folder into the "VoxStamps" folder located -Program Files / 3D-Coat-V3 / VoxStamps / Objects.

Then in the Voxel room click the "merge" option under "Objects" on the left side tool bar, select the "Models" tab up in the right hand corner inbetween "Strips" and "Splines", click the little downward pointing triangle button right on the very right hand edge of that, then select your folder with your primatives and you will be able to access your primatives in the window below. 3D Coat automatically creates the preview thumbs of your objects. Cool huh!

Note; you can also create VoxStamps that have a negative part by using the naming convention - "name of sub object within the obj. file" immeadiatly followed by _negative.

• Reputable Contributor

You can also just drag and drop the layer straight into the models pallet. You'll get a prompt asking how much you want to reduce/decimate the mesh. It will create a thumbnail and you can click on it anytime you're ready to use it. Another good option is to right-click the layer and choose "save as .3b file." This way, you can save individual parts exactly as they are in the scene (same shader, position, scale, etc), and if you want to conserve memory, delete the layer now and simply merge that object back in whenever you are ready for it.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

worked as advertised :)

Something new learned about 3D-Coat, created awesome decorations on my armor, and speed up future developments by a big margin. And even more impressed about what 3D Coat can do.

Many thanks for all the input, your help is really appreciated!

Gian-Reto