3DCoat Forums

About Swapfile - 3DCoat better on a harddisk? Or on my SSD?

Monkeybrain

• Advanced Member

Hello,

I know, a SSD is faster as a harddisk. I own a SSD from Intel. I have the Intel i7-2600k CPU, 16GB RAM and a 120GB SSD from Intel.

Last week I tried out a voxel(experiemental) with over 60Millions vertices/tries. Even over 3/4 Million tries I feel first sometimes problems with the performance, and get also a message "out of memory" .... - I like 3DCoazt, but this is a very hungry program.

Hmm, my SSD is not so big, this is an intel SSD with 120GB. I also dont want set my swapfile to high - under my sys-ops I have my swapfile for C:/SSD - between 16MB and 3200 MB)

But why 3DCoat take 'only" 32GB (16GB RAM) and 16 of the SSD? If I start 3DCoat fresh, without any 'big' programs in the background, I read in my status

free: around 3200MB why not more?

Okay, and because of the message: 'out of memory' .... should I better uninstall 3DCoat from my SSD / drive c? And install it under my Harddisk (I own a very big Seagate HD with 2TB). Coz on my Harddisk I can made for made for 3D-Coat a very big Swapfile :D - but I will lost a lot of performance?! :/ But I would loose "out of memory' messages. And could also work with larger (voxel)objects?