3DCoat Forums

Video Card

Britain

• Advanced Member

Lap top died, going to up grade. Anyone using the NVIDIA® Quadro® 3000M or 4000M with 3Dcoat? I'm on the road to much currently to look at desk station.

Thanks!

I used to have a quadro 4000 at work, but now in a new job I have a gtx570. I don't feel the difference honestly, I usually recomend gaming cards since they are faster and cheaper, the difference of quadros is drivers and Ram quantity. However, drivers are usually a help in Maya and some other autodesk programs, which still, isn't that much of a deal (in my experience). And, there are a few gaming cards with even 4gb of ram, which is more than enough.

• Advanced Member

I used to have a quadro 4000 at work, but now in a new job I have a gtx570. I don't feel the difference honestly, I usually recomend gaming cards since they are faster and cheaper, the difference of quadros is drivers and Ram quantity. However, drivers are usually a help in Maya and some other autodesk programs, which still, isn't that much of a deal (in my experience). And, there are a few gaming cards with even 4gb of ram, which is more than enough.

Problem with gaming cards most are not cuda capable. Good to know that no difference detected to the gtx570

Problem with gaming cards most are not cuda capable. Good to know that no difference detected to the gtx570

yeah, well, I meant Nvidia gaming cards. Probably Nvidia is in general the best bet nowadays, for professional usage.

Sorry, but I've to says it: WRONG. Maybe less punch (but I'm honestly not trusting pro cards too much as the driver developpment and hardware updates are very scarce compared to the general public version) but they do cuda with no issue, unless you go for the old or "lite" versions of the gaming cards.

In fact, not only are they cuda capable, but can also have more cuda cores for much less money. The quadro 6000 has only 448 cuda cores and costs... 4.000 dollars... While the 680gtx has 1536 cuda cores. more than tripple... and costs... 500 dollars... The only advantage of the quadro, as I said, is ram quantity, and drivers for SOME software. But its defenitely not worth it if you ask me...

• Advanced Member

Some of my other cad software will not recognize the other cards. No choice at this point. I'll let go some speed to have other opportunities. Once I get more settled so I can get a desk top I'll poke around. Good info never less!

I am looking at the GTX570 I can get one with 1.25 gigs of ram, or one with 2.5. Is the extra ram worth the cost? I can't go to the newer 6xx series as they seem to all require PCIe 3.0 and that is a whle system upgrade which isn't in the cards for a while.