3DCoat Forums

3DC ---> Softimage Normal Map woes...

jacobo

• Advanced Member

I here have an object that yields the dreaded normal map seams problem after imported into SI 2010. The result I get in 3DC is flawless. I'm using the tangent operator to control the NM in SI, but no matter what I do, what combination I use, I end up getting these horrible seams. I hate this... What should I do?

Thanx

AJ

• Contributor

I here have an object that yields the dreaded normal map seams problem after imported into SI 2010. The result I get in 3DC is flawless. I'm using the tangent operator to control the NM in SI, but no matter what I do, what combination I use, I end up getting these horrible seams. I hate this... What should I do?

Thanx

AJ

Try all Local Space normalisation settings in 3DC preferences.(normalise B by T,and T by B )

With and without inverted green.Which makes 4 possibilities.(you need to rebake each time of course.)

• Advanced Member

Seems you haven't read this great post by Taros: :)

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3255&view=findpost&p=25357

I think you need yo uncheck the "unbiased tangent" option in softimage.

Yes, indeed I have read it. What's more, I do have the habit of not using direct vertex colors thru the normalmap3 node, I always use the Tangent Operator. Like I said, I tried every possible combination which also includes unchecking the "unbiased tangent" option. But now, I'm gonna give Artman's suggestion a try. Will post here how it went.

Thanks for the replies...

Cheers;

AJ

• Advanced Member

Thanx a mil Artman, it worked splendidly. I made an addendum to Taros's Tutorial thread, as a little heads up for all SI users. You can see the details there.

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3255&st=0&gopid=34420entry34420

Cheers man :)

AJ