3DCoat Forums

Removing bake artifacts

pazduha

I had this 9mil voxel sculpt, that made my computer out of memory after doing per pixel baking on some tries. The voxels are retopologized with 2000 faces. When baking this couses some artifacts on the normal map. I posted what happens with pictures. Is there a way around this? Settings for baking or maybe just something inside the paint room. I tried smooth, doesnt do much. ty

post-9158-0-14856800-1348487328_thumb.pn post-9158-0-00037100-1348487339_thumb.pn

In order for us to help you we need to know your system specs and which version of 3D-Coat you are using.

If you are using an older version of the software, the first step toward success is to try the latest version - and then, if problems remain - send us a step by step list of how you got to the area of difficulty - or, better yet - a short video demonstrating the problem (you can use the free Jing software and a free Screencast account).

Thanks,

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

+1 for more information.

I have an idea it is a normal map shading issue due to the angle of the polygons in those areas. You might need to bevel the areas around the edges of the teeth and and wing edges.

Normal maps do not handle straight 90 degree angles the best where you have just two polygons forming an edge.

The above is the reason for more information as Greg stated. There is no picture of your retopo mesh with the uv seams or uv map so I can only take a guess and what your problem might be.

my system is:

- Intel i5 750

- 4GB RAM

- radeon 5770

- win7 64 bit

- 3d Coat 3.7.08B(DX64)

-------------------------------------

1. First I have a problem with my ram working with 9 mil. polygons in voxel mode. I got a lot of crashes lately after doing some retopology work, which is strange.

post-9158-0-18854600-1348524323_thumb.pn

Here u see how my file size changed: litd36.3b - litd39.3b is all retopology work. Maybe a couple of files back also. Why would the file size change so dramaticly just because of retopo?

2. After I set a bigger virtual memory size, I avoided crashes but got this anoying wait times, when doing lets say per pixel painting calculations. My voxel sculpt is a bit to pointy for the simple low poly mesh:

post-9158-0-80189800-1348525027_thumb.pn

post-9158-0-00790000-1348524664_thumb.pn

But why do some corners work with no problems, while others fail. This strange problem on the wing bugs me the most (first post).

ty

• Reputable Contributor

The main problem is what I described in my post. Some edges might work and some not...

I have a suggestion, In the retopo dialog box, do at least one subdivision when you merge. This could help...

Also sometimes on very very thin voxel edges (like wings) can create baking problems. You might have to add a little more voxel material but there is no way for me to judge since I do not have the file.

I'm not sure why your saved file size is jumping up so high in the retopo room. Are they incremental saves? I think someone else was reporting on large file sizes using it.

In the picture you see that I gave the wing some width with the polygons at the edge by adding one polygon along the edge. Then I also subdivided the retopo mesh one time when merging. I did not manually bevel any edge since I was subdividing the retopo mesh.

A simple bird to show you. 634 polyons subdivide for merging to 2560. I just auto mapped the uv for this example.

I can still export the low polygon mesh and use that normal map...

Be sure "don't snap subdivision vertices to the surface" is selected.

What you can do is once you are completely through all the merging and everything is good go. Save that file.

Now, delete the voxel object.

Resave the file in another name and then reopen it to see if you have gain some ram memory back. There are few more tricks I learned when you have 4 meg or less ram. but see if that works first.

There are no errors in the normal map on the birds wing edges in the paintroom for per-pixel.

Main thing to remember is I'm just trying to help even if I missed the mark some...

Read this thread so you don't have the same problem Tony had.

http://3d-coat.com/f...t=0

Check this thread out about incremental saves posted today...

http://3d-coat.com/f...showtopic=10360

post-518-0-32003300-1348528520_thumb.jpe

post-518-0-15488000-1348528537_thumb.jpe

I changed my low poly mesh a bit, then I baked with small ray distance 1.0 , and with high subdivision, no smoothing, best results so far. Then I exported the mesh with "keep original positions" that kept the mesh sharp. I used smooth on normal map for some imperfections. Looks about right.