3DCoat Forums

LW Skelegon Bones get deleted on export by 3DC when UV mapping

• Advanced Member

If you load an LWO object for per pixel painting and UV map it in the UV room, and then export the model, the exported model no longer contains any of the imported skelegons that the model had inside it. Lightwave Skelegons are 2point polys with a special tag on them in the file format somehow. It seems 3D Coat is stripping the skelegons when exporting the model.

I am using 3.7.18F Hopefully this has been fixed in v4 and if not please add this to the list of things to fix, it is fine if 3DC doesn't utilize skelegon bones but it should affect them and should just leave them alone if you can't do anything with them in 3DC. It is important to me that 3DC doesn't destroy the skelegons when exported and brought back into LW. This just adds yet more workarounds in my pipeline and makes it ripe for a mistake in my workflow if I'm not very careful to save separate versions with the skelegons and paste them back in. Please fix this - thanks! :)

• Advanced Member

I did notice that a surface called "Bone" was imported into 3DC - which was probably from the 2 point polys which are the skelegons. LW skelegons have a special tag according to this thread here: http://forums.newtek...rding-Skelegons

At first I thought just the tag wasn't getting set on export, but I notice that 2 point poly geometry (which is the skelegons) seems to get entirely stripped as well - despite the surface name of the geometry being detected - they aren't in the exported file at all anymore. This sort of geometry (1pt & 2pt polys) shouldn't get filtered out just because I UV map or paint a LWO object - at the very least it should slide right through untouched by 3D Coat. Please let me know if this is a known issue or bug and when you expect it can be addressed if indeed it is one. Thanks!

BUILD: v3.7.18F 64bit CUDA

BUG DESCRIPTION: LWO Object with skelegons gets skelegons stripped on export.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Import LWO object containing skelegons for per pixel painting. Switch to UV room create and edit some UV maps. Apply the UV sets. Paint in Paint room. File > Export model. Load exported LWO in Lightwave - and skelegons are gone.

It's an intended feature of 3DC. 3DC will clear any floating vertices and two point polygons to avoid problems upon export. I recommend not using your rigging scenes to import into 3DC, it will only cause more headache than it is worth. You needn't save multiple version of your file, just export what you need to paint from LW. For that matter, when you're done painting in 3DC, if you haven't changed your UV map, you don't even need to export the mesh, only the textures.

Short version: Don't import your rigging scenes in 3DC, it will intentionally remove floating vertices and 2PPs.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply Javis. Good to know it's by design and not randomly killing them.

That being said, I do contest this choice.

If floating vertices and 2point polys cause problems for 3DC, surely there's a better way to ignore them while painting or whatever, but keep them intact enough to export out. As far as I'm concerned, whatever I feed into 3DC it should spit out along with any edits or additions I use 3DC to make into the file. Regardless of rigging choices, it is nicer to have the flexibility to pull anything into 3DC at anytime during my workflow to tweak, update, or change things. Why let a limitation affect my pipeline? So if it is at all possible, I would like to see this addressed - if not as a bug, then as a feature request. It should be simple enough to save 2pt polys in memory, have them not interfere with 3DC if they aren't supported in there, and then export them out when needed. Like what about characters being textured with 2pt poly-chains for hair/fur? If they were supported, it would be useful to see them as references to paint their surface (as some things like Sasquatch use uv maps for color growth of fur) also to be able to color map vertices in 2pt poly chains as well as surface polys would be helpful.

Don't you agree? Thanks for considering this... :)

• 2 weeks later...