3DCoat Forums

Any tips for a new user(long time license holder) for a Mudbox guy?

garyhaus

I am very versed in Mudbox and also fairly versed in Z. Was hoping any kind folks who also use Mudbox and/or Zbrush may want to give me any tips on moving over. Thanks.

Gary Haus

Not specific to mudbox but I have a few general workflow videos on youtube with more on the way very soon!!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3d+game+resources+3d+coat&oq=3d+game+resources+3d+coat

Good luck, read the manual, the site, the forums and every tidbit you can get hold of because although it's very easy to use it is also extremely powerful software. But 'useful' knowledge can be a little fragmented ;-)

• Reputable Contributor

I am very versed in Mudbox and also fairly versed in Z. Was hoping any kind folks who also use Mudbox and/or Zbrush may want to give me any tips on moving over. Thanks.

Gary Haus

Can't help you with ZB, but layers in the Paint Room are easier to deal with in 3D Coat, IMHO, as they are very similar to Photoshop. Each UV map can have it's own size, so when you paint on it, there is no need to have to select what size you want. If you want colored specularity, just paint the color you want, and you can change the transfer/blending mode to "Colored Specularity." You can assign a layer to be a glow map by changing it's blending mode to "Emmissive."

In the Windows Menu, choose Pop-Up > Sub-Objects panel and Surfaces. Dock those 2 somewhere, to keep it in your UI. It gives you roughly the same functionality as your outliner panel in MB. The Objects Panel covers meshes, and the Material Surfaces panel is essentially your UV maps panel. You can hide/unhide, lock and delete them whenever needed. Not as elegant as MB's, but it serves the same purpose. The Retopo Groups panel in the Retopo room, is your layer panel there, and the Vox Tree layer panel in the Voxel Workspace is essentially the layer panel there.

In the Paint Room, it's very much designed to be very familiar to users with Photoshop backgrounds, and each layer essentially has 3 channels/maps (Color, Depth and Spec). You can paint all three simultaneously on a layer or temporarily turn off the channels you don't want to use. You can copy channels/maps from other layers, too. As for Layer masks, there are tutorials covering that as well, on the 3DC Youtube Channel. I would suggest going through the Intro to 3D Coat playlist, to cover the UI, navigation, UI customization, etc. and then cherry pick what you want from the Feature Demo's playlist. It covers most of the V4 features. Both Playlists are being added to constantly, and Javis has a bunch of tutorials covering most of the tools in the Paint Room, in the Painting Playlist.

Hope it helps.

http://www.youtube.c...r/PILGWAY3DCoat

• Contributor

Biggest difference:

You can instantly control which parts of your mesh are low poly and which parts are high poly (ON THE SAME MESH).

Neither Mudbox or Zbrush have this feature.

2nd biggest difference:

Voxels are awesome! You can slap together and cut apart pieces of a base mesh very easily. In my opinion it is much easier to do than using Dynamesh in Zbrush.

I also recommend using the Artman Brush Presets (available for free on this forum). They are very useful sculpting brushes.