3DCoat Forums

general sculpting workflow

gswartz

I'm new to 3d coat and I wondered do you normally sculpt in voxels and then convert it to surface sculpting for hi rez details or stay in voxel mode for full rez detail? I watched a video tutorial and from what I've seen it looks like you generate the basic volume with voxels and then convert to surfaces for hi rez detail... but is that the normal workflow or perhaps just the way this person did it? I want to be as efficient as possible with my system memory so when it gets to skin wrinkles and so forth, is it best to be in voxel or surface mode? Thanks.

• Contributor

Surface mode for hi res detail is faster because it is not necessary for your hardware to keep track of the whole volume (of voxels) but only the surface. In addition, you have access to more tools such as Live Clay. You can also increase detail locally instead of globally. When completed, go to Retopo rather than returning to voxels so as to retain all the new detail without having to raise the resolution in voxels to accommodate the new detail.