3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Ptex Bake to Multi tile UV ?

miica

Go to solution Solved by miica,

Hey guys, need some help here, I have a character model that has multi tile uv, like in this image:

comp_uv_multitile.png

I want to fill the character with a tiled texture and I want the texture to be seamless across uv islands. So I load the character into 3dcoat and use Ptex and fill it with my tile texture.

The fill works perfectly, I can hardly notice any seams, then I go to bake the texture. Problem is, I only get one texture from uv range of 0-1, how do I get 3dcoat to export the other textures that has uv outside of that range?

If that's not possible, how do I fill my character with seamless texture, I tried it without using ptex and the result is wrong.

Unfortunately, I couldn't show the model as it's was confidential, I can create an example if need :)

Btw, can Mudbox fill texture?

Thanks.

• Reputable Contributor

Hey guys, need some help here, I have a character model that has multi tile uv, like in this image:

comp_uv_multitile.png

I want to fill the character with a tiled texture and I want the texture to be seamless across uv islands. So I load the character into 3dcoat and use Ptex and fill it with my tile texture.

The fill works perfectly, I can hardly notice any seams, then I go to bake the texture. Problem is, I only get one texture from uv range of 0-1, how do I get 3dcoat to export the other textures that has uv outside of that range?

If that's not possible, how do I fill my character with seamless texture, I tried it without using ptex and the result is wrong.

Unfortunately, I couldn't show the model as it's was confidential, I can create an example if need :)

Btw, can Mudbox fill texture?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but when you import a model that has tiled UV's, there is a checkbox in the import dialog to import UV Tiles as UV Sets. 3D Coat converts them to UV sets. I liken the difference to a stack of papers (UV Sets) vs the papers all spread out on the table. When you export out, you can choose to have 3D Coat export UV sets as UV tiles. But when you try to use Ptex, all that kind of goes out the window. It does it's own thing with your UV's. Every polygon is an island and they are all packed together in the UV space tightly (with some padding, to prevents seams).

UV Tile support:

Multiple UV sets in 3D Coat:

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah, don't use Ptex for this. Andrew did a lot of work to try and help remove seams, but you are going to have this issue no matter what app you use. It's not so much an issue with seams, but tiled textures. You can use the 2D Texture Editor, along with Materials (same as Stamps in Mudbox), to paint the pattern directly on your UV islands (no 3D perspective distortion and no cube mapping).

2D Texture Editor is toward the end of the video:

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Is the white portion part of that image? It should only be showing the skin texture. Load that image into the Materials Pallet (little "+" symbol at the bottom of the panel) > click on the new thumbnail of that image, and if it has half of the image white, like that, then you need to crop it out in Photoshop or some other editor.

Also, don't try to paint on layer 0. create a new layer. Andrew should lock layer 0 by default, so it cannot be edited.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Solution

Oh!!! I found out why, it was the foreground color, in my pic, you can see it's pure white, I have changed the color to 50% grey and got my skin color back. (Took me some time to test with different colors, I thought one of the rgb channel in the image is causing this, but they turn out to be work correctly, then after testing a few more colors, I finally found out any light color will blown out...)

It's strange as I thought using 50% grey should have instead dim my source image by 50%... well, I got it to work anyway, thanks :)

Oh, thanks for the warning on layer 0, I didn't know it's not to be edited.

• Reputable Contributor

You can also right click on the foreground color to disable it. That way there is not color tint applied when using Materials or the Fill tool and such. Plus, remember, in the FILL tool, if you leave Color Modulation checked, it's going to apply those color variants to the texture. Uncheck if you do not want to add color modulation.

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Ptex Bake to Multi tile UV ?