3DCoat Forums

Render Image Issues - Clean VS Lines?

Rkhane

Hello, I have been using 3dCoat v3 and now v4 for over a year now.

I enjoy rendering my work out in pictures and 3d turnarounds.

However lately I came across an issue and was wondering if I could have some help solving it.

I have included a screenshot of my issue below.

Some renders I did came out smooth(Left helmet in the screenshot). However some new renders I did have thin vertical lines in them (Right helmet in screenshot).

I have played with many setting yet cannot get my renders to come out smooth again.

Under options I have Antialiasing on and Hide Visual Guides, that's it.

Is there any option somewhere, hidden or otherwise that will let me get the more smooth image renders without the little lines in it?

I've tried various options, lighting, render sizes etc, nothing seems to make the smoother rendering come back.

Generally I was used to the rendering with thin vertical lines. But I really love the smoother rendered image. Any idea on how to get that kind of rendering everytime?

Thank you.

post-38226-0-27253300-1390506570_thumb.j

I am not shure what problem you have.

Did you tried to set the render qualiy to 32 bit?

And additionally your model seems to be in a low resolution. Set the voxels resolution it up and you will get better results.

The problem is outlined in the attached picture. One render came out clean (I am not sure how) and the other came out with thin horizontal lines (typical). These were rendered within 2 days of each other while playing with different lighting.

I did try to set the quality to 32 bit, nothing was affected.

Another thing to note, the thin horizontal lines show up anytime I render a picture past the standard screen resolution. So if I render a 2000 or 8000 pixel picture, they show up. If I just render the lowest 1920x1080 they don't show up. I render out larger images for print so they can come out sharp at 300dpi. However the thin lines ruin the picture a bit so I must render the picture massive then shrink it down to the desired print size so the thin lines do not show up.

Does it happen with every shader?

No, it seems to be different shader to shader. It should also be noted both of these in my picture are the same shader, however the lighting was changed.

After investigating and playing around a bit I found that choosing a lighter color for the lighting actually produced a different render pattern on the image. Instead of thin vertical lines it produced small circles and a wavy pattern. I only have one light (the default) in the render room. All I did was make the light a slight tint of blue and slightly lighter and it changed the high res render. So far it is an improvement over the vertical lines and they are much less noticeable in the image when shrunk down for print. I've included a zoomed in picture of the latest render pattern:

So it seems to be how the program interprets camera lighting against the models shader which can result in various render artifacts.

post-38226-0-93159300-1390597556_thumb.j