3DCoat Forums

Wireframe on smooth shade in Voxel room possible?

lildragon

^Subject... I can't seem to find a way to do it :( . Reason being I usually like to work with very low poly meshes to begin and sometimes I push/pull verts around at this level, but it's proving difficult with just wireframe visible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thx!

~t

• Reputable Contributor

^Subject... I can't seem to find a way to do it :( . Reason being I usually like to work with very low poly meshes to begin and sometimes I push/pull verts around at this level, but it's proving difficult with just wireframe visible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thx!

~t

There is no such mode in the Voxel Room. There is in the Paint Room and Tweak Room, though. Wireframe in the Voxel room is really just a way for the user to see how dense your model is and how operations using Dynamic Subdivision affect the mesh while you are working. When you are working with low poly assets, you are able to pull individual verts, edges and faces. This is not the case with a dense model, obviously. Just use the Move tool (holding the CTRL key while moving will force it to move along vertex normals and not screen space), or Pose Tool. The Pose tool is basically your Modeling equivalent of a Swiss Army Knife. It's like modeling with soft selection enabled, but unlike doing so in a standard 3D app, you can make extremely detailed selections, and even save those selections, to use later on.

You may already be aware of it, but just in case, caching the layer (switching to Proxy mode, where 3D Coat temporarily replaces the original mesh with a lower resolution/SubD level version) is preferable when using the Pose tool, for performance reasons.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Ok that's cool, I'll have to get used to this then. Just a Zbrush habit that will be hard to break ;)

If you think of the Pose tool (probably should be renamed Advanced Transform tool) as your base modeling toolset, you'll be able to use it in a similar way as pushing and pulling verts....but with "soft selection" enabled, as it were. Select with Pen mode might be the best way to work in this sense, and you know have a standard Transform Gizmo to work with.