3DCoat Forums

[SOLVED] Importing multiple reference meshes ?

taipoh

Go to solution Solved by Javis,

firstly, I'd like to apologize if this has been mentioned somewhere, I did try searching but the other topic that I found and was similiar to mine had no replies to it. 

I would like to import multiple reference meshes to use for retopo, and I want to be able to keep them seperate (like how in this video 

voxtree was used to seperate the different body parts of the spider), but still visible in the same workspace, and be able to hide any ref mesh if I need to. If I tried to import another reference mesh in after importing my first, 3D-Coat seemed to clear the current workspace and replace my reference mesh with the newly imported one. I used Maya to export my meshes out as obj, if that helps at all. I tried to use the Voxtree but I don't seem to be doing anything right. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hi!

I just saw your post on Vimeo too. :) Here is what I put there, just in case.

Hi Lim!

There are two ways you can do this:

1: Import the mesh in the sculpt room, and don't voxelize it, then retopo as needed. The layers will show up in the VoxTree.
2: Import in the paint room, let 3DC auto UV map it if needed, then go to the retopo tab and retopo as needed. The layers will show up in the Sub-Objects Panel.

A little more detailed information for either method:  You may need to increase the resolution or sub-divide the object for the when you import. This is more likely when importing into the Sculpt room, which I recommend over the paint room method. But either way is good.

Hope that helps!

sorry if this sounds really dumb, but is the voxel room the same as a sculpt room? also, what should I import it as? In the file dropdown, there's several options for importing, unless I should be using another method for importing? I'm using Steam's version of 3d-coat, if that information counts for anything. Thank you for the fast reply! :)

EDIT: tried using Paint with Ptex option that comes up as an option in 3D-Coat's "New" menu, and it crashed the program because it had to subdivide the mesh, which was actually a sculpt from Zbrush that I just combined with another sculpt in Maya, while heavily decimated is still a pretty heavy mesh, so I guess the paint room option is not for me (unless I'm using it wrongly again)

• Solution

Hi!

There are no dumb questions. :)

The voxel room is the same as the Sculpt Room. We recently changed names to make them more sense, though unfortunately it makes the tutorials a little outdated.

So the easiest way to import something that high of resolution would be to use the Import Tool, in the Sculpt Room, hit Select Mesh in the Tool Options panel (browse to your mesh and open it). Subdivide as needed, though it sounds like you have the detail you want, so I would avoid this. Scale as needed as well, then turn on the tickbox "Import w/o Voxelization", then hit Apply on the top (or just the Enter key for the same) and it should import. It will likely ask you a question about remembering the scale of the original imported mesh, it's generally a good idea to hit yes to this.

That said, all instruction is for the latest wording of the tools, to be honest I can't remember much of the older wording, but most of it should be pretty similar. Also, you can use the most recent version of 3DC, since you are entitled to it, with your Steam license. Here are some instructions for using the latest build with your Steam license:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10451

Also my pleasure, I hope this helps you, and of course, welcome aboard! Don't hesitate to post any questions you have. :)

hey, its finally working, many thanks! I also did not check "groups" under file type specific options before that, thats why it didn't work earlier on even though I followed your instructions, in case anyone stumbles on this thread and is having the same problem. Once again, thanks Javis :)