3DCoat Forums

Creating Displacement Tutorial?

3dcal

Hi, 

I've been searching for a tutorial on creating displacement in 3DC. I want to 

displace the mesh to add "greebles" using a texture and displacement map, then export the obj to e.g. VUE. 

I'm not trying to create maps, just geometry. 

Also interested in Vector Displacement, but looks like it's not a feature 

in 3DC yet. 

Would appreciate any help or info. 

Thanks! ;)

• Reputable Contributor

The below is for exporting real geometry from 3DC with depth information that was created from a displacement map.

Import your model into the paint room using Micro-Vertex. (deep displacement) The second picture shows the millions of polygons function. This needs to be always higher than the number of pixels in your texture resolution.  A 2k map would need at least 4 million... This is the internal amount of polygons that 3DC uses to creature your displacement.

Add your greebles...  If you have a displacement created for the greebles already,then you can import that displacement map from the Textures menu.

Exporting the real geometry:

File Menu \ Export----- You will see a list of 3 polygon sizes that you can export the model out as real geometry...

These sizes "4x times" are based off the display mesh resolution (formally called carcass) that you chose when importing your model into the paint room.

Your workflow is somewhat unclear. You did not state if you had a model already with a displacement map or wanted to create the greebles. Also if your are using procedural textures for the model in Vue. You could do sculpting work in the Sculpt Room, decimate the mesh and use that in Vue with procedural textures. It really depends upon how you plan on using the model...

The above is my answer according to the information you gave so far. A more complete workflow given always helps on getting better and more direct answers.

3DC does not natively support vector displacement with true undercuts. It can export a displacement map as vector displacement so that map can be used in programs that use vector displacement.

post-518-0-52513500-1426097403_thumb.png

post-518-0-79911700-1426098460_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Your workflow is somewhat unclear. You did not state if you had a model already with a displacement map or wanted to create the greebles.

Sorry, thought I was clear.....I only want to create (or import) a basic mesh & detail it with greebles in 3DC.

I want to see which app is best for this. I've done it in C4D, ZBrush,  & Blender, and want to see how 

3DC does it. 

Thanks for the mini-tutorial. I'll try it asap. :)