3DCoat Forums

UV & Painting Workflow Question

kevjon

Hi

I have model I have made in Nvil. The model consists of about 20 individual mesh items. Different mesh items have different levels of sub'd applied to them. Some are none, 1 or 2.

When I export to obj it converts the sub'd meshes into high poly model which is more time consuming to work with when selecting edges in 3DC for uvmapping.

My question is that when you export to 3DC for uv mapping should you turn off the subdivision before you export to make the task of uvmapping easier ?

Or is it better to unwrap the high poly mesh ?  

I am concerned that if I uvmap and paint the textures on a model with subd turned off that when I turn it back on the painting won't match exactly with the model.

From the videos I've seen online they all show uvmapping on low poly objects and don't really go into workflow solutions.

If anyone could share their workflow or experience would be much appreciated.

• Contributor

Hi Kevjon.

IMHO unwrapping a subdivided mesh is a bad idea. Not only it lowers the level of comfort and viewport performance, but also leaves you with a hipoly mesh to rig, animate, render, etc. which contradicts the whole purpose of using subdivision surfaces.
I strongly suggest to do unwrapping on a low-poly unsubdivided mesh. Subdivide it only for texture painting by either choosing the exact same subdivision and UV-smoothing algorithms that your main 3D package uses, or import a mesh that you presubdivided in it.

A workflow example:
1. Create a model in NVil and export to .obj without subdivision.
2. Import to UV Room or Retopo Room for unwrapping.
3. Export the unwrapped model to file.

Then, depending on where you will be rendering your model:

3D-Coat:
4.A.1. Import the unwrapped model for per-pixel painting.
4.A.2. Subdivide it when asked, choose a UV-smoothing algorithm.
4.A.3. Paint your textures.
4.A.4. Render the model.

3rd-party package:
4.B.1. Import the unwrapped model in your 3D package.
4.B.2. Subdivide it. This will guarantee that your model will have subdivision and UV-smoothing algorithms that are used by the program.
4.B.3. Export the subdivided mesh to file.
4.B.4. Import it to 3D-Coat for PPP. Do not use subdivision nor UV-smoothing. They're already baked into the model.
4.B.5. Paint your textures and export them to files.
4.B.6. In your 3D package, apply the textures to your unsubdivided low-poly model.

3rd-party package (if 3D-Coat's internal subdivision and UV-smoothing algorithms match those available in your 3D package):
4.C.1. See 4.A.1 to 4.A.2.
4.C.2. See 4.B.5 to 4.B.6.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Hi ajz

Awesome response, thankyou for going to the trouble of explaining the workflow.

It all makes perfect sense.  :)

I just have question about 4.A.2. :unsure:

Is it possible to apply subd levels in 3DC, if so where is it ?

Can you apply different levels of subd to different mesh items like you would in your 3D modelling package inside 3DC ?

• Contributor

I just have question about 4.A.2. :unsure:

Is it possible to apply subd levels in 3DC, if so where is it ?

You'll find it here for example:

post-12523-0-13390300-1433166650_thumb.p

Similar window also shows up when baking from hi-poly to low-poly.

Can you apply different levels of subd to different mesh items like you would in your 3D modelling package inside 3DC ?

I'm afraid you can't. Subdivision is applied globally to all subobjects that you are importing to Paint Room.

Thanks once again ajz 

I'm afraid you can't. Subdivision is applied globally to all subobjects that you are importing to Paint Room

Thats good to know, it sounds like it will be easiest (for me) to follow 1-3 workflow by 4.B.1 to 4.B.6 type workflow for painting.

Now that I know how to handle the workflow, I can concentrate on learning 3D Coats tools. Still much to learn.

I am an aviation modeller/artist (mainly WWI and II aircraft)

So the goal would to render stills of the final textured model.

If 3D Coats renderer is not suitable for my purposes I will bring it into modo for rendering stills and bring those stills into photoshop for compositing.