3DCoat Forums

Help :) Trying to make own kitash - negative do not work

jardaroh

Go to solution Solved by Michaelgdrs,

I attempted to make a test model to import but the _negative mesh seem to not become very negative at all, quite the contrary. Yes I did check respect negative volumes.

I find very litle information on how to make these... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tried importing one of Greebles' models, the cylinder_2.obj into modo. Re-exported the model to a different name, imported in 3D coat and the negative volume works perfectly like in the original cylinder_2.

Set my own model up the exact same way, exported using the same naming convention, and the _negative mesh remains a normal positive mesh. Still have not figured this out.

Thank you Michaelgdrs.

I took a look at those links, first one seems to be a good feature request but do not adress my issue and the second link I have already been to several times, that is where I first found I could have a _negative name to a mesh.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I love 3D Coat and the community seems very friendly too :)

• Like 1

• Contributor

tried importing one of Greebles' models, the cylinder_2.obj into modo. Re-exported the model to a different name, imported in 3D coat and the negative volume works perfectly like in the original cylinder_2.

Set my own model up the exact same way, exported using the same naming convention, and the _negative mesh remains a normal positive mesh. Still have not figured this out.

Then its obviously something on your 3d model. 

Does it have any know issues? Ngons? Double or inverted polygons? 

• Contributor
  • Solution

Ahhhh as far as i remember  , there might be some issues with Modo....

Not 100% sure , but i think i read a couple threads with issues.

Lets wait for a Modo user to come into play here.

• Like 1

My latest test model is simply two meshes. Each containing a box, perfect quads.

Modo manages to import and export Greebles' models fine though. So I don't see where the issue would be :(

But guess I will try another modeling software as well just to check, thank you :)

• Like 1

Well I'll be damned. Made the same test in Blender, two cubes where I named one mesh _negative and it worked! Just the simplest of tests, did the same thing as in modo, but with a working result.

Too bad I don't know how to use blender :p Will have to see about using blender as a bridge.

Thank you again Michaelgdrs for pointing me in the right direction on this.

• Like 1

• Contributor

No worries , i am sure that there is a solution for Modo as well , unfortunately i quit on Modo many years ago , although i am still a fan of it.

Jardaroh:

The simplest, fastest and most useful way of putting together a kit bashing set is to go to 3D-Coat's "Models" palette, and click the "+" sign to directly add your Modo .obj files to the "Models" library.  These shapes can then be added or subtracted from any "Sculpt" mesh that you are working on.

Let's say you are working on a "base" model and want to add or subtract your imported models (from Modo) which you have already added to the "Models" library:

1)  Click on your model in the "Models" library.

2)  You will see your model in the main view surrounded by a manipulator (widget).  Scale and Translate this model to desired shape and location.

3)  To positively add your model to the base model simply press "Enter or Return".

4)  To negatively subtract your model from the base model, hold down "Cntrl" and press "Enter or Return".

That's it.

Greg Smith