3DCoat Forums

3D Coat Linux Wine

efflux

It works.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and Wine 1.1.8. Testing the 2.10 demo.

I also have Windows and Mac systems (Mac is G5 unfortunately). I have not made comparisons with running 3D Coat on Windows yet. My Linux system has a much better graphics card anyway but not a really fast system. 3D Coat performs well though. I see no issues except the ALT+RMB/LMB navigation. It clashes with other windows commands and I can't seem to get around that but not a major issue. Incidentally, if the navigation popup conformed to the way most of the other popups worked - appeared at mouse position then disappeared at mouse leaving, then it would be better. It doesn't work that way. I think all the popups and tools should be that way - a totally empty work space if you want and all tools quickly available as popups.

I can understand there will be no official support for running 3D Coat on Linux Wine because of the possible issues but maybe an actual Linux port is a future possibility. It would have no rival on the Linux platform and would be a very nice partner for Blender.

I was on the Ubuntu forum just yesterday and there are several threads with suggestions about sculpting apps. Blender does sculpting but it's quite basic. It does work OK though. ZBrush also runs on Linux but with some problems to get it working (licensing for example).

I will return to the Ubuntu forum to tell people about 3D Coat.

3D Coat installs and works without any major issues.

My graphics tablet works fine. Pressure sensitivity is working.

Some 3D Coat on Linux eye candy.

post-1148-1226617182_thumb.jpg

I'm just experimenting with the layered brushes. I have another app working on Wine called Mojoworld which is a fractal landscape generator. It is perfect for making all kinds of textures and pens. Especially good with the layered pens due to the huge fractal control you have for generating variations in the layers.

I am very impressed with 3D Coat. The retopology tools alone are fantastic.

I Just tried to install 3d Coat 2.10.15P2 on Windows. This system doesn't have a powerful graphics card. It's a PIV 3.0 GHz HT. This was just a test to to compare with Linux so I can see any problems. However I could not install 3D Coat. I get this with the open GL version:

Default file source is folder "C:\Program Files\3D-Coat-2-10"

Added "Bmp" image codec.

Added "Dds" image codec.

Added "Jpg" image codec.

Added "Tga" image codec.

Added "Png" image codec.

Added "cAnim" animation codec.

Added "Md5Anim" animation decoder.

Added "Fbx" animation decoder.

Added "cModel" model codec.

Added "Md5Mesh" model decoder.

Added "Obj" model decoder.

Added "Fbx" model decoder.

Added "cCamera" camera codec.

Added "Fbx" camera decoder.

------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics card and driver info

------------------------------------------------------------

OpenGL Renderer

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Renderer: RADEON 9200SE DDR x86/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 1.3.4901 WinXP Release

Supported:

Pixel format

Multitexture (units: 6)

Anisotropic filtering (level: 16)

Texture Compression

Vertex Buffer Object

Vertex Attributes (count: 32)

Unsupported:

OpenGL Shading Language

Then I get this with the DX version:

This application has failed to start because dsd9.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

So Linux Wine - almost perfect. Windows - can't even install.

I don't even care because I DO NOT want to use Windows. Many apps I've tried have performed better in Wine.

OK. No DX9c was the problem with the DX version. I have 3D Coat working but it's not really usable on that graphics card on my Windows system (too slow).

This is the problem in Linux Wine. With 3D Coat, ALT+LMB and ALT+RMB are used for navigation of the 3D space but on Linux those are commands are also used to do stuff with the windows so they clash. I can disable those commands on the Linux windows manager but 3D Coat still doesn't use them. This is not a major issue but it would be improved a little if the navigation popup opened at the mouse when hitting a key command then disappeared if it wasn't pinned when the mouse moved away. That's not such a bad way to navigate.

I'm going try the latest Alpha on Linux.

I noticed that something else is now working that wasn't before. The menu under view to browse the 3D Coat folders.

Unfortunately I have a problem. 3D coat appears to be fully functional except voxel sculpting which did work the first time I tried it but now I get an error message. Since problems like this are likely to be issues with wine, I am not sure if you want me to show you the error or not.

OK, this keeps happening with the volumetric sculpting. The only solution is reinstalling. I get the error below. I'm guessing it is an Open GL problem although it's all quite complex I suppose since 3D Coat is running under Wine. I have NVidia's own Linux drivers installed. the card is a Quadro FX. The issue happens when (for example) I choose another Open GL shader but has happened at other times as well:

15.11.2008 14:03 Ubuntu:CRASH!!!

Version:3D-COAT 3-00-ALPHA-40(GL)

Memory status: OK

pointers: 26136

Work time: 0 m 9s

TotalPhys: 2014 -> 2014 Mb

AvailPhys: 1665 -> 1607 Mb

TotalPageFile: 2609 -> 2609 Mb

AvailPageFile: 382 -> 440 Mb

TotalVirtual: 4095 -> 4095 Mb

AvailVirtual: 4095 -> 4095 Mb

Video: X11 Windowing System