3DCoat Forums

Noob q... texture/paint/materials questions

Turner

Go to solution Solved by Michaelgdrs,

Hi all...

About to buy, I think :)

1) One thing - in watching various tutorials, I often see people have lots of materials; where the heck is all this stuff?

I realize that there are user-made materials and colors too, just wondering if the program comes with more than what's in the demo version.

Otherwise... is there a library/repository somewhere?

2) I have "smart materials" - where are the "dumb" materials? ;)  In other words, what if I simply want to use a solid color or texture with no edge effects?

3) When I do choose a smart material, sometimes it has to generate an ambient occlusion later, sometimes it doesn't... sometimes it just doesn't paint anything. What am I missing here?

4) I tried stencils... seemed OK... now, though, I can't see any stencil, select a different one, or paint on the object even after the stencil Preview Options drop-in is closed... what should I be doing here?

More questions later...

thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Turner

• Contributor
  • Solution

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

1) https://gumroad.com/michaelgdrs

2) Default collection and pick the old school paint material.

3) Its material related , other need it other dont.

4) Windows --> Popups --> Stencils

Anything you need feel free to ask.

Catch you on the forums 

Michael.

• Like 1

Hi Michael-

Thanks!

Bought the program!

A few follow-ups...

1) Thanks - can you also please let me know if there are other materials that come with it? (or do I just make them myself?)

2) Ok - played with old school paint and it's good. But what if I want one of the woods, without the edge wear effect? (or maybe if I want to paint edges only?) I haven't found that yet.

3) How can I determine if a material will require an ambient layer?

4) When I first tried stencils, I could see the stencil pattern over the whole window and could adjust that way. Now, I only see it as a silhouette on the model, and only when I adjust it... what did I change?

thanks again!!

Andrew

• Like 1

• Contributor

Greetings Turner

1) You make them yourself  , there are a couple official tutorials on youtube 3d coat channel

2) You right click on the smart material , and select edit smart material , you will see layers there (all explained in the tutorials) , hide or unhide the layers and play a bit with the values.

3) Again it says on the tutorials

4) On the preview options bar , press the third button , it should say hidden to you right now.

Again anything you need , just let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks again Michael, and Happy New Year!

Regarding 2 and 3... I'll be watching tutorials! Not sure how quickly I'll find these specific things, though. I'll look to find them.

For #4... the "Shown" button has no effect. May be a bug? (Right now, I can see the full screen stencil, but cannot turn it off using this button.)

[edit] Just did a search for "Smart Materials" on the Youtube channel and nothing specific to that topic comes up... probably included inside other videos, but it's hard to find that way.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Turner

• Advanced Member

Also on the Preview Options  panel  under where it says   More   Tiling    hidden/auto/shown     under those  check if it says   From Camera   or    Cube Mapping  /   From  Camera you will always see your stencil   /  Cube Mapping  you will see it on your model  under brush  ..   next to that is what % you want to see of it ..  there are also other options in that tab  UV,Sphere etc   .  I am a year in with this program and the more I use it the more I love it.