3DCoat Forums

Why only .psd files for Diffuse?

wires

Go to solution Solved by digman,

I'm doing 3D Animation using iClone from Reallusion. The software has a module for creating characters, and these can be exported as .obj files for modification/enhancement in a package such as 3DCoat. The main problem that I am running up against at the moment is that 3DCoat will only import/export Diffuse maps as .psd files - all other maps offer a selection of common file formats.

Since the RL Character Creator does not import/export .psd files I am having to run various maps through Gimp just to get them to/from 3DCoat.

So my question is, why does 3DCoat not offer a file selection option for Diffuse maps, but does offer one for other maps?

I'm just starting with 3DCoat, and am really getting to like it over Substance Painter for a lot of work - but this constant file conversion process is putting a damper on an otherwise super fast product workflow.

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

What version of 3DC are you using. Professional--- Educational.

Where in detail are you trying to export from?

What does your export image file formats look like for your color (diffuse) file.

I have attached an image of mine... File Menu \  Export Objects and Textures.

Second image is from

Textures Menu

Export Color / Albedo 

3rd image 

Textures menu 

Import Color / Albedo

post-518-0-19016000-1452973350_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-59205500-1452973923_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-09457300-1452974130_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

Thanks' digman,

I have the Pro version, and my mistake was using Import>Layers Colour, which only offers .psd as an import option.

The Export Options window that you show doesn't open on my system when I click on File>Export Objects & Textures. I don't seem to be able to embed an image in a post, but when I select the Menu item the only thing that happens is an explorer window opens to a folder with options to save as .obj, .fbx and a few other formats.

As I said in my post, I'm just starting with 3DCoat and have had a lot of questions answered just by reading the Forum and watching the Tutorials. Somehow the answer to this question wasn't quite so easy to find.

There's quite a wealth of information here, and that removes the need for repeat Noob questions.

Edited by wires