3DCoat Forums

Multi-clip/object brush

mocaw

• Advanced Member

Hello,

Maybe, like so many things with this wonderful program, this feature is already in there and I just haven't seen it in the manual, but I would like to see a clip or animated brush, similar to what can be done in painter etc.

OK- here is and explanation of what this does: it makes it so that when you "stroke" an area with your brush (pen) the alpha/object/color information is derived from a sequence of images instead of just one.

If you threw in randomizing or other user based options this could be very powerful. Say you have a rock wall you're making. Wouldn't it be nice to have three sets of clips that are slightly different, and then paint a pen stroke with a bit of jitter and spacing and have them randomly selected!?

How about having the start of a stoke be one clip, the middle another, and then the end the last clip/image? Or even have it based on pen pressure settings! So say at zero depth/height it paints with a brick clip, at a higher level (the top 20% of the brick clip) it switches to another clip- like a noisy one to make grit and cracks!

So in the end it could be another default setting with sub-options for any pen. If it's not ticked it uses the first clip or user entered clip number (so if there are five the user could move a slider or enter say "3" and use clip/image 3). Once the "use multi image brush" is enabled it could then show the sub settings such as:

Use stroke length

Use stoke start and end

Use pen pressure settings (then becomes reliant on those settings)

Use under layer color

Use direction of stroke

Use velocity of stroke

Randomize with color (uses the between two colors option to choose between clips)

Randomize by opacity settings

I'm sure there are many other settings that could be used.

It would also be nice if users could create their own sets on the fly by just dragging, in order, pre-loaded brushes to a bin.

Additionally- it would be VERY handy if certain clips could be defined to be used certain ways with splines like how it works in AI. So that you can have one for vertical strokes, one for each curve bend and one for another direction. Think of this like as if you were laying down a pipe texture- when it turns it uses a bent elbow image- when it's straight it uses a straight image. These wouldn't have to be new brushes of different than normal pens- it could simply be a rule that clip 1 is the horizontal straight, clip two is the first bend and so on.

OK, enough of my long feature request. Loving the program!

THanks,

Gideon

• Advanced Member
There is something like you requested. You can select several pens using CTRL+click on pen preview. In so way you can select several pens and draw with random image from the set.

WOW! So it's already 90% of the way there! Now all that would be needed is the ability to set parameters for what order you select them in (like beginning middle end of stroke etc.).

This, hands down, has to be one of the BEST software experiences of my life!

I've been pluging your application when and where I can- which is easy to do given the features, price, and support!

Thank you!