3DCoat Forums

Bake maps with files from 3ds max

dimedius

Hi.

I did a search and saw some other baking issues so thought I'd post my query.

I have a high poly and a low poly mesh. I really like that I can throw my low poly in 3dc and get the auto unwrap (time saver for sure).

I know my standard workflow is:

create models -> unwrap -> bake maps as needed -> export objects -> import to 3dc -> texture and then export texture files when complete.

Is it possible to somehow have 3dc auto unwrap 3ds max files? UVwrapping consumes a lot of time and currently I have some small side projects that I'd like to find a quick clean process (obviously won't be as perfect as manually doing it) to unwrap. That way, I can spend more time texturing instead.

Would a better alternative be:

import obj file -> auto unwrap -> texture -> export obj and textures -> import into 3ds max and then export in needed format (for my example, I want to export as a nif (fallout)). Will this still retain the uvwrap information? Is this possible and are there any downsides to doing it?

Side note: I'd also like to check the baking power of 3dc. Is it possible to use my hi and lo polys inside 3dc? Any good tutorials? I did some scrounging around but all the videos tell me they are corrupted (I suspect its really due to the filters here at work).

Edited by dimedius
clarifying title

So to answer my own question.

It seems I can create an obj from the low poly, auto wrap then export uvw obj.

Go back into Max, use this new lo poly and use the standard hi poly I had and do the whole projection and bake a normal map. This lo poly also works well with exporting as a nif (fallout file format). This will definitely work for the current project and a nice time saver.

I've got to go to bed but can I import my hi poly with my lo poly and bake a normal in 3d coat? Haven't tried the tools yet and curious to how well it works.

• 2 weeks later...