3DCoat Forums

Open Subdivision and Displacement Maps

biotron

Hi there. I've been working with Sony Interactive Entertainment R&D on subdivision surfaces for use in real-time games. I've been experimenting with different tools, trying to figure out an efficient workflow and would like to know if 3Dcoat uses Catmull/Clark based subdivision, and if it does, are there settings for the various methods of handling UV boundary smoothing, such as preserve edges and corners, preserve edges, etc?

I've watched the displacement painting video and it seems like 3Dcoat holds a lot of promise for the work I'm doing, but my biggest issue has been trying to paint on an accurate representation of the final limit surface I would see in the engine. I like Substance Painter for it's procedural, non-destructive workflow, but they don't have the ability to subdivide the mesh and view the tessellation as you paint. At least not yet. Mudbox doesn't have PBR and the texture painting workflow seems a little behind the times.

Any info would be appreciated.