3DCoat Forums

How to maintain color of a model when exporting?

photosw

Go to solution Solved by Carlosan,

I am beating my head against the wall.  I tried Zbrush for 3 weeks now.  This is all new to me.  I picked up on it fairly quickly for being a noob.  No matter what I did, I could never get the color to stay with the obj or fbx.  My goal is to be able to have the paint stick between programs.  Today, I was told 3dCoat would be my best bet and was tickled when I found out how similar it was to Photoshop.  Well, its not been the best to me thus far.  However, I imported the 3d model from Zbrush and out of nowhere, the materials and color just appeared on it after me not touching the computer.  Now, I am trying to export it to the program I need to rig it in.  The paint and materials will not go with it.  I have tried FBX and OBJ.  If I export maps, they are blank.  This is starting to seem like a twisted nightmare.  I can see the model there in 3dcoat and cannot get it to go into any other program and not look like non-colored clay.  What is the process to get the maps out or just have the color to stay with the file?  I was told that you could paint directly on the model.  This one, I didn't even have to paint on.  The information was there.  However, when importing anywhere, all of its gone.  I just don't get it.

• Solution

Hi

If you exported the model from ZB and was polypainted, need to auto-UV the highpoly in Zbrush, most likely using PUV tiles.

Then do Tool->Texture you can select "From Polypaint". This will make a texture that can be assigned to the highpoly in any other program.

You will have a high poly and low poly mesh already. Watch this video to get the polypaint baked in Xnormal. It's quick and easy; can't be simpler than following a video.