3DCoat Forums

Custom grid setting, and Voxels per unit work flow

tokikake

• Advanced Member

I really try and error to use grid with my custom unit (Meter or cm) with keep the grid unit distance , measurement tools and geometry size.   Then I think most reliable setting for me.is adjust grid steps.

1.   set 3d coat Unit as you like (Sculpt > Geometry> Define measurement unit or measurement unit do same thing, (because measurement unit = 3d coat unit of geometry, we can not use different unit for measurement and geometry for 3d coat)  it set brush size unit too. (so if you set brush size as 1.0 with Meter unit, now you  may have 1 meter radius brush)

2.   set Voxels per unit as you need. ( I actually do not know which value may best for 1 meter size geometry, but now I set it as 100,  so I suppose 3d coat may generate 100 voxels in 1 Meter per axis = 1 meter cube may show 1000000 voxels)

3.   Once you change Voxels per unit, it effect your Grid size..  if you set Voxels per unit = 10    each Grid distance change as multiple with  10 ,,  if you set Voxels per unit = 100, each Grid distance multiple with 100.  But  geometry size of mesh keep same size as same as before.. (with measurement tool unit)

4  So to get same grid distance ( 1 meter or 1 cm with 3d coat unit), I had used to change "Unit scale", but it seems not clear for me (and sometimes I feel it cause strange issue with view size)  then I keep Unit scale as 1.00  but  I may recommend to change Grid steps..

eg if you set voxels per unit = 100  you may set Grid steps as 0.01  (1/100)   if you set voxels per unit = 1000 you may set Grid steps as 1/1000,    if you keep voxels per unit as 1.0  you may set Grid steps as 1/1  = 1

If I set so, I can use Grid as measurement then each Grid distance =  my choose Unit ( meter) with measurement tool. so I can easy use Grid as visual measurement tool (aproximately),  And it should make work easy, when I use grid to snap precisely,, (to get cm grid I only need to subdivide as 99 then sub-grid distance = 1cm with 1 meter unit)

Of course if you change scene scale , it change geometry size too. (I do not know detail though, then above way is supposed to use keep Scene scale as 1.00 (and unit scale = 1.00) I never change them.

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

Sorry I miss understand about Scene scale, Scene scale effect Camera zoom limit , and brush measurement size .  but not effect Geometry mesaure size.  so I can set it as I need. 

I notice,  if I keep scene scale 1.00,  camera stop to zoom with 1 meter (unit) square shown in view. (roughly)  , so I need to change Unit scale more large value (as digman recommended 100 seems reasonable. because it can zoom 1cm square for view max zoom),  I think I can free set scene scale, so if I need more detail with zoom eg 0.2mm square  I may change scene scale as 500 etc.

About grid size, and voxel per unit,, the logic is same.. ( change voxel per unit = change grid setting or it do not keep the grid distance when measured)