3DCoat Forums

Using 3d coat for commercial book covers

Starship3D

I want to use 3d Coat for book covers, and then sell those book cover images to authors, who will then sell them on to their readers. I've read that other 3D designers use 3D coat for book covers, but I just want to make sure that, that is allowable within the 3D coat license agreement? And/or is there anything I need to be aware of in regards to doing that? Does the author need to agree to anything, license wise, in regards to me using 3D coat? I sent a message to 3D coat support a few days ago, but haven't had a reply yet.

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Shelton was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

I am not a member of the 3d-Coat team but it seems like what you are doing is using 3D coat to create models that you then render out as images.  Then you sell those images to book authors who use them for book covers. 

If you have a 3D-coat professional license you should be fine.

Most digital content creation software will not limit you in selling images made from renders in the software.  From a technical standpoint the image you create in 3d-Coat is similar to one created in Photoshop, Blender, Krita, Affinity, etc.  There shouldn't be an issue unless you are using the 3D-coat logo itself since it belongs to Pilgway.  

I can understand why you would have these concerns though as there are some software's that limit the type of content you can create and sell.  Certain game engines have a monetary limit, and fee sharing arrangements, and for Daz3d you need a separate license for video for each model. As far as I know, there is no such issue here, you own what you create.  

Cheers

• Like 1