3DCoat Forums

Export images without gamma being applied?

RudyRG3D

Question

Hello,

I have a quick question that I am hoping to get some help with...does 3D Coat Textura automatically add gamma to exported images? I am looking for a way to keep a strictly Linear Workflow going into Unity, by keeping all my images with gamma not being applied (good for data files, like metalness/roughness, etc.), then I would add a post-processing at the very end to gamma correct everything. I am assuming a 16-bit/32-bit format like a Tiff or EXR would be best so the color gamut doesn't get clamped by 8-bit (prevents "Banding" in Linear workplace). If there is no option, or workaround, then I might just stick with TGA files and convert sRGB in Unity, or at least that is my thought process.

If anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated. I may also be thinking about this way too deep than what is actually needed.

Thank You, Rudy

Edit: I addition, my Preferences in Textura are set to use ACES Color Management, and the line above, the gamma correction is set to 1.00 for the red/green/blue channels. I am assuming then that Textura runs in a Linear mode already? However, in Unity, when I uncheck the sRGB Texture box to take the gamma conversion away, the texture becomes washed out. Trying to figure out where the issue may be - could be in Unity. (Project is set to Linear within Unity too.) Thanks!

Edited by RudyRG3D

2 answers to this question

Awesome! Thanks for the info. One quick follow-up question...when you mention display viewport, is that strictly only the 3D viewport I paint in, or does that carry over to the Texture Editor as well, where I can view the actual texture map? The reason I ask this, is let's take the Metalness map for instance (using Metalness/Roughness workflow) when I leave the checkmark in Unity set to "on" for sRGB my Metalness/Roughness map looks the same as in Textura, when I disable the sRGB checkbox (which I believe is supposed to be done for linear data, such as this map type) the texture becomes much brighter, but seems to behave more accurately in Unity. Mainly checking if the gamma is also displayed for the Texture Editor in Textura (I'm guessing, yes).

I appreciate any help, and I understand if you are unable to answer regarding Unity, kind of difficult to find documentation anywhere that explains what is happening under the hood. 

Thank You, Rudy