3DCoat Forums

A few feature requests.

Redbeer

First of all, I'd like to say that this is a great program. One of the coolest new programs I've purchased in the last 5 years.

You've done a really excellent job on this program Andrew!

Having used the Alpha for a few months (and I just purchased the upgrade to 3.0 today), I've thought of a few ideas for additions to existing tools, and some "new" stuff as well.

1) In the voxel primitives, I'd like to see an adjustable revolution "range" for the circle/curve based primitives (sphere, capsule, cone, cylinder, ngon, gear (and maybe ellipse too).

What I mean is, I want the ability to limit the total angle that these primitives are swept out at, so, as an example, if I choose a sphere, I can adjust the amount of revolution angle to make a "wedge cutout" of

the sphere quickly and automatically, (envision a 3D Pac-Man shape). I'd also like to see the addition of a torus with a similar "partial rotation" adjustment before I commit to the voxels. The torus would help with creation of non closed earings, chain links, etc. Seems like some options that shouldn't be overly difficult to add, but add a lot of utility to the primitives if you want to start in 3DCoat from scratch. Assembling/adding stuff with voxel primitives is actually a big reason I bought into the program.

I realize some of this can be accomplished with booleans, screen based cutouts, importing geometry, etc., but it would be a lot easier and more flexible (while also more precise) to just change a number or a slider for "angle of sweep rotation".

2) For a new feature, since we have cloth, why not a quick "fluid" simulation? I realize that fluids can be tedious and computation intensive, but even just something to get a "starting point" for water splashing over or into an object might be kind of cool. I'm thinking of something where I could pour voxels over an object and stop the simulation at a certain point, then sculpt in the higher level details. Would be nice for wave scenes, mud on a surface, heavy rain, etc. Even something where I could pour voxels into a "box" and stop the simulation on a particular "wave" of fluid, then delete what I don't need/sculpt details into what I want to keep. Or something where I can drop an object "into" a fluid box, and capture a snapshot of the splashes. This could also be configured as a softbody tool, where I could configure the voxels to "stick together" (raise the viscosity/internal friction), and get a ball to fall and turn flat on a hard surface, without falling apart. It would probably save a lot of sculpting to make natural looking rock deformations and a multitude of other things. This is certainly a feature that none of the existing hi-res sculpting/modeling packages have. It might be a neat selling/marketing point as well if you can pull it off well.

3) Some sort of "noise" modifiers for voxel surfaces. For instance, say I want to create a relatively flat cube (like a terrain, but it has more use than that), but I want to quickly create some "random noise" (perlin, fractal, simplex, wavelet) on a particular portion of a voxel surface without having to brush/draw it on the voxel surface. Make it box/lasso selectable for the area you want to affect, then an interactive representation of the changes to the surface as I "dial it in". I realize I can import an alpha and draw it, but I'd like some numerical/slider configurations in the voxel room, on the fly, so I can make visual adjustments as I go. It would open up a lot of potential for strange artistic affects in addition to making the voxel ---> quadrangulate feature a decent terrain generator.

4) Macros/scripting. It would be nice to be able to save repetitive operations into a macro, or even better, get some access to the tools and/or mesh/voxel operation internals with scripting (python or something, it doesn't much matter to me, as once you learn "to script" it's just different syntax). This way I could write my own tools and functions.

Just some ideas for point updates and or Version 4. :D

Those are all thoughtful and reasonable suggestions for 3D-Coat's development, Redbeer! Those refinements would certainly be great additions to the program.

Maxon Cinema 4D's simple, clean method for adjusting primitives seems to be a suitable interface design to emulate.

primitive.png

Those are all thoughtful and reasonable suggestions for 3D-Coat's development, Redbeer! Those refinements would certainly be great additions to the program.

Maxon Cinema 4D's simple, clean method for adjusting primitives seems to be a suitable interface design to emulate.

primitive.png

Thanks.

This brings up a good point too, automatic and radius/offset adjustable chamfer and/or fillet on the box/cube, and the end caps for the ngon, cylinder, tube, and gear would be a nice addition as well.

Your concept about pouring voxels and sloshing the syrupy mixture about is brilliant. The inventive modeling applications for dribbling and splattering the liquid over a surface would be limitless.

3D-Coat's fast and inviting voxel mechanism is perhaps the program's most significant innovation, and your insightful suggestions would help extend its competitive advantage.

liquidj.jpg