3DCoat Forums

Importing and exporting .obj - coordinates changed!

Hi,

I try the demo version of 3d Coat right now. I have several files (.obj) with 3d data. They belong to a single data set. I need to do some heavy surface work on them, and I think that the voxel sculpting in 3d coat is really cool and helping me a lot!

BUT

If I save the files in .obj (or .lwo) and open them in 3d coat, some of them are not in the right position anymore. That is, if I import two or three into the same space, they are not e.g. in parallel to each other anymore, but they are merged into each other. Probably they are centroid at 0,0,0. If I just open the single files with 3d coat and save them as .obj again, and import them into modo again, they are merged there too! So, this is not really helpful... I mean, 3d coat is nice to sculpture the surface of my really difficult surfaces, but afterwards they don't fit well to each other anymore. Just imagine a 3d skeleton and a 3d blood vessel from one person, not aligned well anymore... Does not look that well, right?

So, is it possible to get the old .obj coordinates back????

• Contributor
Hi,

I try the demo version of 3d Coat right now. I have several files (.obj) with 3d data. They belong to a single data set. I need to do some heavy surface work on them, and I think that the voxel sculpting in 3d coat is really cool and helping me a lot!

BUT

If I save the files in .obj (or .lwo) and open them in 3d coat, some of them are not in the right position anymore. That is, if I import two or three into the same space, they are not e.g. in parallel to each other anymore, but they are merged into each other. Probably they are centroid at 0,0,0. If I just open the single files with 3d coat and save them as .obj again, and import them into modo again, they are merged there too! So, this is not really helpful... I mean, 3d coat is nice to sculpture the surface of my really difficult surfaces, but afterwards they don't fit well to each other anymore. Just imagine a 3d skeleton and a 3d blood vessel from one person, not aligned well anymore... Does not look that well, right?

So, is it possible to get the old .obj coordinates back????

I sure hope so. Otherwise, you have a nasty glitch in app2app.

• Advanced Member
I add a picture to show what I mean:

It is a simple example: I created a cube with modo, saved it as .obj, imported it into 3d coat, saved it again as .obj. Then I opend it with modo again. As you can see: the coordinates are changed...

I looks like 3DC is exporting based on the models COG rather than the origin. You could force it to work by manually defining the scene bounds so it is centered on [0,0,0]. if you for instance created 4 boxes and placed them as if they were the corner verts of a cube in your scene and merged them into 1 object. Center their pivot to their object center and then zero their pivot to the origin. no so long your object is within the bound of the 4 cubes and the 4 cube volume is centered it should work

its a hack but it might get you out of a fix.

scenebounds.png

OK,

I tried it again. And, in principle it works, but: the scale is changed dramatically! If I open all files in modo, the original ones as well as the ones imported into 3d coat, I "cannot see" the original ones anymore... That is, they are so small compared to the others, that I have to zoom in heavily to see them. Or, better to say, I have to zoom out a lot to see the modified versions...

A structure 1 m in length originally will be 120 m in length after the processing in 3d coat...