3DCoat Forums

Very dense auto-subdivision

JoseConseco

Question

• Advanced Member

Even though -auto-subdivide value is very low, it still add huge amount of tris.

image.thumb.png.077606e41acb70894c73af6810acbced.png

Maybe its related but number in square bracket is quite large:

image.png.31e7cb6126442c94eba93cd0d56aa1e1.png

But it is for voxels, and I'm in surface mode.

In the end subdivision should be linked to brush size, and obviously it is not... Is this bug?

Edited by JoseConseco

7 answers to this question

• Advanced Member

Look like you have been able to recreat it above? In my case it happens on default surface sculpting character that comes with 3dc.

image.png.5fcb4a4ea74bad9ad2a174a0a6b8c1b9.png

This makes app very slow, since character is way to dense if I used  auto-subdivision. Just to be clear - subdivision density should not depends of scale of object.  It should depend on brush size only - in screen space. I bet, right now, 3dc is using absolute brush size, which is not what u would usually want.

Edited by JoseConseco

• Advanced Member

Sphere in 2d Character preset sculpt : 

image.png.0efcc09f5b7ef20ed738f68a412dd0eb.png

Vs  sphere in clean scene

image.png.50c7e0b05c3281cc5bea826b657541da.png

Remove stretch was off.  Same  DetailLevel (1), same (screen) brush size  but obviously density is not same.  I even tried with same absolute brush size -3, and it subdivides way more in mannequin scene.

I also tested 3 sphere sizes (on same scene) but in there everything works fine.  

I would imagine setting DensityLevel  to 0 - would not tessellate geo, but obviously it is not the case in character preset model. Even if I set it to 0, it still subdivides model a lot. 

Edited by JoseConseco

• Advanced Member

Ah, guys, I was right in first post - this issue is linked to the number in square bracket. It was [4] so I used  'increase object 2x'   twice, to get rid of [4], now sphere is huge but resolution is ok:

image.png.16ec9338e18d3a3893a3184a944ba879.png

3d coat devs, please,  fix it - so that subvisions detail does not depend on object scale (just  dividing  'DetailLevel' / [number in square] -  should do the trick I think) .

Also is there way to get rid of number in square, but without scaling up object? (kind of  'apply scale' from blender ) 

• Thanks 1