3DCoat Forums

How To Use Layers for Different Model?

Silversurfer1221

Question

Hello.

Let's say I've created a set of layers for a particular model, such as a layer for the base color, another layer for dirt, another layer for streaks, etc. If I wanted to use the same layers on another model, is there a way to save this out for that purpose?

Let's say I've used a smart material for the color, another one for rust, another for dirt, and I want to have consistency across similar models (like various floor panels in a scene) - how would I reuse the layers for other models so I have the exact same setup for each?

I tried replacing the geometry, but it kept the UV map of the old geometry, so this didn't work. I really don't want to have to write down each smart material I'm using and then have to attempt to recreate this layer by layer for each model that I want to have the same sort of thing.

If there's a simple way to do this, please let me know. It would be great if 3D-Coat and 3D-Coat Textura could save out layers as a smart material like you can in Substance Painter.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Thanks for helping.

I realize I can create my own smart materials and create layers within them. But let's say I've downloaded several smart materials from the 3D-Coat smart material library and am using them on a model. Now I want to use these same three on other models, too. Sure, I could write them down and manually reuse them, but is there a way to combine them so I can just apply once for each model I want to use them?

I'm guessing, no. But thought I would ask anyway. 

I think what I really need to do is create a series of my own smart materials for use with this current project. ;)