3DCoat Forums

Import From Blender Issue

Sui

Question

I tried to export models from Blender and load them in Sculpt Room but met some problems. When I export as FBX, Coat fails to load the models. Hardly anything appears in the viewport, but there are layers created in the Vox Tree list. Taking a closer look, there are indeed some small models, but the models are clipped and deformed.

When I try this with OBJ, Coat does import the models, but all the objects are shaded smoothly, and located off center, which takes me a while to find them.

Using 2024.16 and blender 3.6.10. This did not happen in 2023.40. THX.

image.png.a1bf2ca975ba3eb5d1131a924000cfd7.pngimage.png.2bfa638a74259f33d1a94477ff5f896a.png

6 answers to this question

On 4/13/2024 at 2:15 AM, Carlosan said:

3dc works with binary fbx file format. Try obj please

Which I did, and the result was smooth-shaded objects. I had to convert them to vox objects for them to shade correctly.

• Thanks 1

Also, it's not related to this topic but another bug with Vox Layer. I use this for some extrusion, both outward and inward for volumes of certain thickness. It tends to fail when the painted(frozen) surface is complicated. An empty layer would be created and the frozen surface is aborted from selection. I cannot go back with Ctrl Z, either. It is a random issue. Sometimes it just happens with very simple shape.

I tried Applying to Global Space, or simplifying shapes and boolean them together. It works sometimes, but this is quite annoying cuz I have to work again and again, hoping for a result.