3DCoat Forums

Multiple Auto-retopo

Sui

I've applied 3Dcoat's auto-retopo many times in my projects. Both autopo algorithms are great with some drawbacks. I found that Coat's built-in Autopo has better edge flow and control of density than Instant Mesh, so it is a better option for hard surface. But it also has a higher possibility of broken faces. And one crucial problem for me as a concept worker is it's much slower than Instant Mesh. When working with one object it's not very obvious, just a few seconds. But usually I'll have to work with a vehicle or a building with dozens of little components. That will be a very deadly time consuming process if I'll have to click autopo again and again and wait every 30 seconds in between.

I could really use a function to autopo many objects at once. I know currently I need to type in a required number of polygons for Autopo to work. But I am thinking maybe a option to lower the poly count to a certain ratio, just like Decimate (by test, I think 3%-4% would be enough for autopo. The model can hold enough detail after a proper bake with normal map) can be added so a Multiple Autopo becomes possible, and we dont need to spend time waiting and repeating clicks. And again, I dont mind if this process take some time. It will be fine if it runs in the background and I can do some other jobs.

Another way I found other concept artists using is decimate in Coat. Then decimate again in Blender. Then Bake in SP. This workflow works well but it generates messy Tris and Ngons, which is why I would really like to do all these process in Coat.

• Thanks 1

It's very different than the Autopo Coat now has. I quite like it can automatically ajust density to hold more details and crisp edges while giving me clean loops and Quads.To me, the only two problems, in a concept art workflow, are the tedious process and the risk of broken faces.

• 2 weeks later...