3DCoat Forums

Geometry based occlusion

philnolan3d

I don't know the proper name to use for it but right now the occlusion is based on lights pointing at the object. It would be nice to have an option that didn't depend on lights. For example, LightWave's included shader gMil as well as the free shader (or node) called SG AmbOcc. These both calculate the distance between polygons in corners and apply the occlusion based on that. What that means is that if you have a corner inside of a room it will get the same mount of occlusion as the same corner on the outside of a building. This way the occlusion map can be used to add dirt and grime to the textures.

Weirdly enough what your describing is usually called "Ambient Occlusion" and what 3d coat has at the moment isn't :)

Blender has a couple of ambient occlusion methods which are really good, the "approximation" method is especially quick.

I agree that at the moment ambient occlusion in 3d coat is pretty slow.

One thing I think would be cool is having a screen space shader as a material option. This way you could show a Screen space ambient occlusion shader(calculates from screen space normals and zdepth values) on screen and paint the result onto a layer.

Regards,

Heath