3DCoat Forums

Run as administrator

Fabio Dona

Andrew posted this on twitter:

"I made other approach to solve UAC problem - if 3DC is not run as admin by some reason, 3D-Coat will work but show warning at the start."

I don't know if I'm missing something, but a program only needs admin privileges to make changes in the system. A normal application doesn't need to be run as administrator. The right thing to do is to make a program run for all users. Unless it's a application that really needs to make changes in system folders.

Just make 3d-coat run correctly with a non-administrative user account and the "problem" is solved...

In fact I'm using it as non admin just fine. I just had it installed outside any system folders(outside "program files")

Also it's a good idea to install shortcuts for all users.

Unfortunately on Vista, I am unable to create brushes, masks and materials without running in 3DC in admin mode ATM.The real problem IMHO is vista. It's a piece of trash. I have the same problem with other applications if I don't run them in admin mode. :(

Unfortunately on Vista, I am unable to create brushes, masks and materials without running in 3DC in admin mode ATM.The real problem IMHO is vista. It's a piece of trash. I have the same problem with other applications if I don't run them in admin mode. :(

This is weird, really. I'm using Windows 7. I don't have any problems running any applications as standard user.

I noticed though, if I try to install 3d-coat to the default location inside "Program Files", then I need to run as administrator. Otherwise undo does not work. When I install to other place, say, C:\3dcoat, then any user has access to that folder ("Program Files" is a system folder) and 3d coat works.

Because of this, I think the problem is because 3d-coat is trying to access something that requires administrative rights, that's why I think it's not a problem with windows. I can be wrong.. I haven't tested it on Vista...

I'm sure it will run correct on Win7, that is why I am so looking forward get receiving my copy. :D

I think it is just a Vista problem, honestly. I really do. I don't have this problem in XP or Linux.