3DCoat Forums

Overworking laptop and smoothing artifacts

Mix Mash

Hi,

I just bought 3dcoat a few days ago and there are two things I need to ask.

1) I'm running the directx version of 3dcoat on my laptop (3gig ram, Windows Vista, 512 gig vid card, etc...) and whenever I use the program, my system runs at full speed like it's going crazy. Is it supposed to do that? No other programs do that to my laptop unless I have a really heavy workload. In general, I have no problem with my other programs, just 3dcoat.

2) I was trying to smooth out a voxel model the other day but I kept getting a 'ring' artifact around the edges of the brush even when I went for maximum edge smoothness. What do I do to make sure that the smoothing works properly like in Zbrush.

Thanks and I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,

Paul

• Advanced Member

Hi Paul,

I use 3DC on a 2yr old laptop dualcore 1.86 2GB & 512mb, and an i7 920 with 8GB.

I use CPU process-meters on both systems to see what is going on. A LOT of things occur on one core only. (on both PCs)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by system going crazy, but if you see 100% CPU activity then yes a lot functions will do this, but if just say painting or light sculpting then no it shouldn't.

I can't give much advice but a process-monitor utility that can stay on top helped me learn what is going on.

Sometimes things of course can crash and leave the system at 100% activity.

take a screenshot of the smoothing problem and we'll try to help ya :)

That's OK. I just make sure I don't set my smoothing too high and pick a decent alpha and it ends up fine. I'm still messing around with the program and finding its ups and downs. I won't be using it to make any heavy sculpting but I will need to figure out some basic stuff to get what I need.

Anyway, thanks for your offers of help, though.

Cheers,

Paul