3DCoat Forums

maintaining scale between 3DC retop and zbrush

zogthedoomed

At the moment I'm looking to use 3DC for its retopology as I much prefer it to zbrush's. However, if I export a high res obj from ZB, import it into 3DC, retopologise and then export it back out to zbrush, the scale is way off. In ZB, the imported retopo mesh is much bigger than the high res. Is this an issue with 3DC or ZB and is there a known fix?

Cheers,

Patrick

post-2079-12537187516362_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

For the record it appears to be a known Zbrush issue although I'd still be interested to hear of anyone's solution.

I have just completed several test by Importing a ZBrush model as a reference mesh

post-1266-12537434249508_thumb.png

retopping, and saving out using the retopo menu.

post-1266-12537434344577_thumb.png

Work Scale 1-1 here, I can video if you like?

• Contributor

Though remeber the usual rule in ZBrush applies load the Object in as a seperate tool the append it as a subtool to the Hires base. Then rexport/import to seperate tool and all ios fine.

post-1266-12537458710932_thumb.png

post-1266-12537458674744_thumb.png

So you could certainly say its a ZBrush issue. one that i am infact so used to it was second nature to go through the steps in ZBrush. hence why i did not include zbrush Solution in first post.

Thanks very much for the reply and pics. I've only used Mudbox in production and haven't tried to get zbrush files out before now.

Your first reply is exactly what I did. No problems there. I'm still confused with the second though. I've tried all sorts of combination of importing/exporting/appending and been reading the many many suggestions on ZBC but have yet to find one that works.

Can I just clarify your suggestion.

1. Have the high res tool loaded.

2. Import the OBJ. (the retopo mesh from 3DC)

3. Append this to the High Res as a subtool. (This is the point were the scale issue is apparent.

4. Re export the retopo subtool to obj

5. Re Import to the subtool.

Ah right. I misunderstood you.

4. should be Export the HI RES mesh to an obj.

5. Import that back in on top of the original high res. This scales the high res up to match the retopo by making use of the Unify command that is automatically applied to every exported OBJ.

Right so I understand what happening now. The scale problem actually happened when I initially exported the high res for use as a reference. It unifies the mesh before it saves the obj. Totally stupid thing to do and there appears to be no way to stop it so you can't guarantee the size of your exported mesh.

• Contributor

Ah right. I misunderstood you.

4. should be Export the HI RES mesh to an obj.

5. Import that back in on top of the original high res. This scales the high res up to match the retopo by making use of the Unify command that is automatically applied to every exported OBJ.

Right so I understand what happening now. The scale problem actually happened when I initially exported the high res for use as a reference. It unifies the mesh before it saves the obj. Totally stupid thing to do and there appears to be no way to stop it so you can't guarantee the size of your exported mesh.

No on second read im not sure that is right either

Im mid render currently i will make a quick vid to illustrate process after.

Found a quicker way which only works in ZBrsuh 3.5

Upping video now

Find it HERE

Thanks Leigh for taking the time to do that. Much appreciated.

I'd been avoiding moving to 3.5 because I'm fond of SubTool Master and TPoseMesh but I thought I'd take the plunge and compare the two. Doing exactly the same operation I got different results. 3.5 works as I would expect and as you showed in your video but 3.1 consistently gives me the larger mesh so I think it is an issue with zbrush 3.1's OBJ exporter. I'm pretty sure it enlarges it on export. Either way 3.5 works a treat. So thanks again.

• Contributor

Yes mate i noticed that todaywhen doing the video.When i tested last night i used the old tried and tested of exporting out seperate tool and importing. Strange how something so similar in one revision is so different in the next. Though i have to agree with Artman Projectall is much simplified. So it seems that is better. Im just ZBrush oldskool it would seem, still using ancient Methods.