3DCoat Forums

Marquee Brushes should work like the current tool, not just build/cut

cakeller

• Advanced Member

It is great to be able to quickly block in stuff with the marquee rectangle tool, and others. However, it doesn't make ANY sense to me that a brush doesn't do what the tool you're working on does.

Basically a marquee of any sort while using Build / Extrude / or ESPECIALLY Smooth, should do just that within the rectangle...

Why would a box drawn while in the smooth tool create a block of material...

Planar and 2D Paint also have unusual behaviour with the marquee tool:

Marquee in planar or 2D paint, is fine, but ctrl + marquee cuts through the entire model from the camera view, instead of what it logically should, which is, exactly the opposite of the marquee tool without ctrl.

another feature that is IMO illogical is the negative (ctrl+ ) of the 2D-Paint, and Planar. Why do they reverse the normal... at least one of them should stay on the same side...

e.g. planar, makes some sense if it cuts on one side of the working plane, and fills behind when using ctrl, but then 2D-Paint SHOULD paint, and erase on the SAME side of the tool.

And again, using the marquee tools should not behave different than the tool, it should just be the tool within the confines of the marquee.

Hopefully others agree with me, I'd love to see this more logical approach to the brushes.

PS> I think Andrew is a total Genius, and I AM IN AWE OF HIS TREMENDOUS WORK!!! I wouldn't make any comments if I thought he was not able or willing to listen.

PPS> If there is a logical reason why my ideas are not as good as the way it is, BY ALL MEANS point out why (please be nice, I'm not trying to be rude, it's just these suggestions would make MY life easier and using the software more fun for me... )

THANKS ANDREW FOR MAKING ONE OF THE COOLEST PROGRAMS EVER!

• Advanced Member

What I meant is...

In Voxel Sculpting:

When you have a tool selected (e.g. smooth, increase, etc) ALL BRUSHES should perform that same function.

A box drawn around the object while in smooth tool should smooth inside the box. Why does it block in material?

A smooth poly drawn around the object while in incresae should increase all enclosed surface. Why does it block in material?

A box drawn while holding ctrl and in planar should perform the invert-function of planar tool within bounding box. Why does it cut through the entire model?

This brings up another issue which is the invert of 2D-Paint, should be 2D-Paint remove on the SAME SIDE. Why does it flip the normal?

• Advanced Member

I agree that marquee tool should be improved and marquee action should depend on current brush. Some day I will improve it.

Thanks! looking forward to it. And it's good to know that it's on the list! Really that's what matters most to me, is that it WILL happen.

Thanks for all your awesome work!