3DCoat Forums

Voxel -> Mesh -> Project hires mesh onto voxel to get detail

rygoody

So I've found the quadrangulate (what kinda word is that?) and got that working. But It doesnt catch enough detail unless you turn up the settings ridiculously high and have it take forever or crash.

So I was wondering is there some way to quandrangulate it at lower settings, and then in the retopo mode subdivide the resulting quandrangulated mesh a few times and then project it back onto the voxel model in order to pick up the detail? Something like the zproject function in Zbrush.

• Contributor

So I've found the quadrangulate (what kinda word is that?) and got that working. But It doesnt catch enough detail unless you turn up the settings ridiculously high and have it take forever or crash.

So I was wondering is there some way to quandrangulate it at lower settings, and then in the retopo mode subdivide the resulting quandrangulated mesh a few times and then project it back onto the voxel model in order to pick up the detail? Something like the zproject function in Zbrush.

Yes,you can subdivide the quadrangulated mesh in retopo room and it is gonna snap

on the voxel sculpt.However using this way is not recommended since you wont be able to reach a very high polycount using this way.

Here is real method:

(it is real purpose of quadrangulation,the quadrangulated mesh was never intended to retain details)

1-Use "quadrangulate object" function.

2-creates uvs for the quadrangulated mesh in the retopo room .Nice Uvs.

Dont use automatic uvs.

3-once the Uvs are made select "merge into scene(microverts)" function in the retopo menu.

---You need to set "millions of polygons" parameter equivalent to voxel sculpt.

---Set the highest you think you can set to the "carcass resolution" parameter.

---You need to choose "keep Uvs" as "mapping type" parameter.

---You need to set texture size corresponding to "millions of polygons".

Here is a quick chart for needed texture size:

-2048x2048 for approx 4million sculpt

-4096x4096 for approx 17million sculpt

3DCoat will subdivide and displace the mesh.

You will see result in Paint Room.

Once it is done you can export the projected highres using

File Menu- export- High-Poly mesh.

:)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangulation_(topology)

Quadrangulation is exactly as above, except 4 sides per n-gon instead of 3 (quad vs tri)

:D anyway... artman said it all ;) and I think said it well... (except for answering the rhetorical question of "what kind of word is that?" :drinks: