3DCoat Forums

Increase & Decrease Resolution by Painting with a Voxel Brush (Multi. Res. Mesh)

DRAWINGTANK

Greetings everyone

with my very limited knowledge of voxels.. when you press " Inc. Res " button the entire screen gets up res even the areas where you may never use right ?

and if this is correct, that makes for very wasteful resources management of your computer ( specially for me using a MBP laptop )

If we could just use a brush to paint in more resolution in the areas that we most need and to use another brush to down res. in areas that detail is not needed

this would allow for us to put the computer resources to be used 100% where it matters not in empty space

For Ex.

when I try to import a Robot that is very detailed with lots of parts when i Merge into the scene it losses a lot of the detail or

it doesn't show up at all even if i scale the model way up to an insane Est. Poly count either 2 things happen

1- I get a 3DCOAT is out of memory and crashes

or

2- the model is so massive that i can not really use it as is inside 3d coat and still with lots of details missing or melted and

i get weird lines of voxels connecting parts that should not be connected ?

So a Inc. Res & Dec. Res Brush Would be extremely useful that you would allow painting in real time of all the critical detail that is needed giving you

a multi res voxel mesh that is " Optimized " making the most out of your computer resources

thank you for taking the time :)

• Advanced Member

Greetings everyone

with my very limited knowledge of voxels.. when you press " Inc. Res " button the entire screen gets up res even the areas where you may never use right ?

and if this is correct, that makes for very wasteful resources management of your computer ( specially for me using a MBP laptop )

If we could just use a brush to paint in more resolution in the areas that we most need and to use another brush to down res. in areas that detail is not needed

this would allow for us to put the computer resources to be used 100% where it matters not in empty space

For Ex.

when I try to import a Robot that is very detailed with lots of parts when i Merge into the scene it losses a lot of the detail or

it doesn't show up at all even if i scale the model way up to an insane Est. Poly count either 2 things happen

1- I get a 3DCOAT is out of memory and crashes

or

2- the model is so massive that i can not really use it as is inside 3d coat and still with lots of details missing or melted and

i get weird lines of voxels connecting parts that should not be connected ?

So a Inc. Res & Dec. Res Brush Would be extremely useful that you would allow painting in real time of all the critical detail that is needed giving you

a multi res voxel mesh that is " Optimized " making the most out of your computer resources

thank you for taking the time :)

Voxels are, at least at this point, [on a regular spaced grid] and highly optimized.

I am almost certain that the octree is extremely efficiently culling out unnecessary regions, and freeing up resources that so nothing is wasted on large empty voxel space.

However, there have been discussions about multi-resolution voxels, and Andrew has said he is working on a way to make this work... I'm not holding my breath because I doubt it will happen overnight, but am interested to see what he comes up with. And to be honest, the guy is so fast, it wouldn't surprise me if it happens sooner than we all expect. But I also think, right now, he's working really hard to un-bug all the little bugs before re-working the core of voxels.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I have misspoke ;)