3DCoat Forums

Completely customizable UI

Amber

• Advanced Member

Recent discussion about rounded buttons made me request complete customizable UI.The best UI is our own, then 3DC users could create UIs and we could share and exchange and we could work with speed of light.

Complete custom UI

- color themes (it's done already I think)

-custom UI elements possible like custom design of buttons and menus, people who want rounded buttons will get rounded one,people who want sqare ones will get square ones,transparency and color for options

-possibility to close or hide menu items (like possibility to close a room we won't need) in new Blender or C4D you can roll down unused menus

-everything should be able to detach,move,snap (for example tools box from paint room) same with top bar items like 'Soft' stroke 'Radius' and so on

like in Photoshop (you can move and snap tool box) and in Zbrush ( you can take some topbar commands and placed them where you want (very useful)

-export/import of custom UI so users of 3DC could share their skins and custom UIs

Silo 2 ,wonderful polygon modeler, uses just system you can create your own UI, it look like Maya,Max anything,you can create own buttons and place them where you want,users of Silo share their own designed UI.It's so great ! 3DC should tap into their users creativity and let them design and share own UIs.

Examples (yes,it's same software but look what is possible)

ui1.jpg

ui2.jpg

ui3.jpg

Recent discussion about rounded buttons made me request complete customizable UI.The best UI is our own, then 3DC users could create UIs and we could share and exchange and we could work with speed of light.

Complete custom UI

- color themes (it's done already I think)

-custom UI elements possible like custom design of buttons and menus, people who want rounded buttons will get rounded one,people who want sqare ones will get square ones,transparency and color for options

-possibility to close or hide menu items (like possibility to close a room we won't need) in new Blender or C4D you can roll down unused menus

-everything should be able to detach,move,snap (for example tools box from paint room) same with top bar items like 'Soft' stroke 'Radius' and so on

like in Photoshop (you can move and snap tool box) and in Zbrush ( you can take some topbar commands and placed them where you want (very useful)

-export/import of custom UI so users of 3DC could share their skins and custom UIs

Silo 2 ,wonderful polygon modeler, uses just system you can create your own UI, it look like Maya,Max anything,you can create own buttons and place them where you want,users of Silo share their own designed UI.It's so great ! 3DC should tap into their users creativity and let them design and share own UIs.

Examples (yes,it's same software but look what is possible)

ui1.jpg

ui2.jpg

ui3.jpg

I agree with you !

I was just thinking about how great if 3dc's UI was just like SIlo

By far they ( nervecenter ) have the best idea & approach = it's minimalist and 100 % customizable !

I hope Andrew will go in this direction :)

I was just thinking about how great if 3dc's UI was just like SIlo

By far they ( nervecenter ) have the best idea & approach = it's minimalist and 100 % customizable !

I hope Andrew will go in this direction :)

I was just thinking about how great if Silo development was just like 3DCoat

By far they ( Pilgway ) have the best support & functionality = it's fast and 100 % customizable !

I hope Nevercenter will go in this direction ;)

Just a joke.....

• Advanced Member

Personally, I'd like Andrew to focus on performance, functionality and critical features like scripting and a non-single-user philosophy.

I'm not discounting that it would be neat to have a fully customizable UI, but is it essential? Software development is all about identifying the critical priorities and not being led down a path of "would be nice" features.

Again, this isn't a criticism of your request, just a counter point :)

Cheers,

Peter B

Glad to see what people want. My issue has been compensating for my UI habits of custom-keyboard short cuts to conform with my polygon ap .( My polygon modeler is fully keyboard-customizable. It works flawlessly on my Mac)-- I need 10-20s corresponding commands for semi-equivalent functions, (for my fast adoption). My difficulty with OSX differences seem due differences with MSWindows. That combined with Connexion- Navigator device-- On my Mac this still is not under control, with new and current Navigator device on 3dC. (This device works normally with my polygon modeler). Every few months i try the preference panels for adjustments and i download updates. I look for video tutorials which correspond with my particular workflows. (I am not the least bit interested in character modeling). All i can say is that adapting to Zbrush was much more attainable, after the major OSX update of that ap. Perhaps this is due to architects and product designers who do use Zbrush. Still, 3dC would seem preferable to me, if somehow i might be enabled to break through these UI barriers. With Zbrush, my major uses were to emulate the geometry of unsharp edges, typical in stone sculpture or clay. To quickly convert hard vector-spline edges into soft edges with polygons of somewhat equalized sizes. Also, the deforming abilities of additive-subtractive polygon or voxels has wondrous potentials-- Indeed if a user got in sync with the UI. Yet i do not complain, as we see the majority of 3dC users are on a very different track. So be it.

i'd love this idea. i'm not a fan of the way this UI looks, but whatever, it's not a big deal.

i had made a couple of UIs for Silo, it was kind of a begginers UI with most of the commands availible on screen. something one would use before setting up their keys. i remember some friends i demoed silo for kept the UI as it provided them with quick access to all commands.

anyway, what's even more important than the graphicUI is the shortcuts!

i tried customizing 3DC shortcuts, but it's a mess. if you assign a customKey, the old command that was bound to that hotkey is not dropped! this makes it next to impossible to create custom hotkeys. this forced me to revert back to the default and basically have to use 3DC with just 2 hotkeys (SPACE; and 'T') that's all i use to sculpt in voxels. works ok, but only because i can not setup custom hotkeys.

this is a big issue andrew, i hope you look into this.

silo's hotkey system works really well, also the fact that they opened pretty much every command and setting to be bound to a hotkey is great.

these are a couple of things i'd love to see in 3DC:

- ease of setting up hotkeys (must be efficient)

- all commands, settings, windows, etc to be opened up to hotkeys

- easy way to add custom setups to presets (another thing silo does well). as an example i worked in a studio that had 3 artist use silo for modeling. now, the fact it was so easy to customize meant that it was next to impossible for us to use each other's systems because it felt like a different app. here's where having settings in a drop down preset was great.

for instance for 99% of my voxel sculpting i use only 2 alphas, i'd love to be able to drop those to hotkeys, this would speed me up incredibly as i switch between the 2 very often. (i do have to note that the only reason i would use this is because you can not create a custom brush that has the alpha 'stick' to it, this would be a better idea i believe)

as i mentioned i'm pretty comfortable using 3DC as is, using just the 2 hotkeys i mentioned. it's usable, it's fast and there is not a lot of mouse travel due to mouse related menu pop-up. if it was not for those 2 shortcuts i probably would not use 3DC. ease of use is king in my books, and there is no way u can please everyone's workflow, the key is to have the application comfort to the user. creating a hotkey system that reflects this would go a long way.