3DCoat Forums

Beginner help

indigone

Hello everyone,

I'm using 3DC to paint textures on things others make. I'm a hobbyist and know very little about most of what I see in the forums regarding modeling. I hope someone can help despite my annoying newbieness :pardon:

When using 3DC, if I'm importing an object (for pixel painting) with multiple material zones, it exports separate UV-sets for each material, and thus creates separate material maps. That's ok, I guess I can combine them later with Photoshop, but is there a way to import it so that the UV-set is the same? I read somewhere that this is because there is no texture applied. I opened the .obj in my modeler and applied a texture and resaved. This created a .mtl file. Now it imports properly with the texture applied. Is that the correct workflow?

Secondly, for some reason, the model imports with some sort of break in the mesh that I can't paint over. I can't see anything breaking there in the modeler, but again, I'm not a modeler. (Screenshots attached). Does anyone know how I can correct the model so that it does not have these breaks?

edited to add: I found the breaks in the modeler and fixed it!

Thanks

post-2222-12588115926971_thumb.jpg

post-2222-12588116109897_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Hi indigone

Glad ya fixed the problem. If you make your own uv map outside of 3DC then it only sees that UV map and not your material groups. Your matieral groups say intact and when you export your model from 3DC they will still be there in your modeling program. That works for both Lwo and obj files.