3DCoat Forums

Workflow question: adding details

GeeJay

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I am currently about to sculpt a detailed human heart and would appreciate some input on how to structure my workflow. My question is not specific to this model, I only take it as an example. The heart is comprised of a basic shape or volume with details layered on top (muscle fiber, tissue, arteries and veins). As I see it I can either sculpt all of this in the voxel room or only do the basic shape there and paint the details on with microvertex painting.

I would prefer sculpting as much as possible in the voxel room as it feels more natural than painting volume on a surface. The main issue I have with this is keeping, for example, the system of arteries seperate so I can paint them without messing up the surface they are on. If I do this using layers in microvertex paint this is not a problem. I hope you can understand what I mean.

On the other hand I could sculpt everything in the voxel room using layers and export those separately to the paint room. But I have not found a way to specify which object I want to paint, they seem to be treated as one.

So, my question is: What is your strategy for sculpting and painting detailed objects, how do you mask those details, keep them on layers etc? Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks and happy holidays!

• Contributor

Hi,

On the other hand I could sculpt everything in the voxel room using layers and export those separately to the paint room. But I have not found a way to specify which object I want to paint, they seem to be treated as one.

Voxels definitely.For a human heart,no question about it.

Once in Paint Room use the Eye Icon,a double click on any separate object will hide it,very easy.

Objects can overlap... as long as they arent topologicaly connected hide will work.

And you can even save those hidden states to file. :)