3DCoat Forums

Screen Space Grid Size

Colwax

Hi Everyone,

Please excuse the following very "Newbie" question, as I'm coming from CAD/NURBS based programs.

Within the 3D-Coat Preferences I see an entry for "Screen space grid size" & a default value of "64".

Reading the "Hints" message I see "Set the grid size in pixels"...

I've already gone through the 3D-Coat Manual, read the 3D-Coat Wiki & done a Search of the Forum

...but aside from that "Hint", I can't seem to find any other relevant info about this?

Changing the Grid size to suit a certain measurement system I understand from CAD work, but doing this based on pixels has me a bit lost?

What makes it worse is that I can't seem to find any documentation to help explain the basics of using this feature?

So I'm wanting to know "why 64?" & what happens if I was to change this value to something else, say 50 or 20 or even 10?

What are the benefits or disadvantages of changing this default value & under what circumstances would you look at changing it?

regards Colin

• Reputable Contributor

These settinge refer to your 2d grid.

Think of each square in the 2d grid as a image file. hence 64 would be a 64x64 pixel size image. The larger the number the larger each grid square will be in pixel units.

As usual with 2d grids, it very usefull with the grid snap on as you need to for positioning or having accurate lines,etc. The size of the grid depended upon how precise you need it for what you are working on.

Grid subdivision is the next imput for your grid. This will divide each grid square into futher units. 1.00 will divide a grid square into 4 units. Larger numbers the more subdivision levels etc.

• Like 1

Hi digman,

Thanks for the explanation, it's very much appreciated.

OK, so those settings are only related to changing the "2D Grid"...I'm guess that the "Snap to grid" option would only apply to the 2D Grid mode also?

So aside from changing the color & turning it ON or OFF, I gather there's no other options available for the 3D Grid??

Guess that working with CAD I've gotten used to having a 3D Grid that you can set it's grid spacing & overall size...

regards Colin