3DCoat Forums

sculpt / retop or model?

3dCoatWannabe

• Advanced Member

I'm new to 3D-Coat, and fairly new to Lightwave and Modo.

I noticed a comment in a video that the artist no longer modeled, but sculpted and then retopologized.

I was initially thinking that this made sense for organic creations, but not for creating a robot.

But - I saw some demos on this site that made me wonder.

With the current state of 3D-Coat's sculpting tools, how are the 3d gurus doing their modeling?

Where should I focus my efforts for orgainic and non-organic modeling?

Or - maybe the question should be - what type of model would not be suited for Sculpt then retopologize?

Thanks!

My opinion is:

The more a model or a part of it have an organic shape, the more you have to think about a sculpting software. As long as you can construct in the classical way, do it.

I think, in first case sculpting is a way for creating natural and organic results. There are a lot of examples, where you can model very fast or even much faster by using a traditional workflow, then sculpt the same object. The problem of the most sculpting tools is the accuracy. Accuracy is one more argument to choose a classival modeling tool, instead of "freeform software" like the common sculpting tools.

The best is: Look which result you prefer first and decide then what kind of modeling technique you need. Examine your objective before doing anything. And don't make the mistake to do something without a plan...

And the most important for modeling: "Think first, and do then." Look, how to combine the different techniques together to get the best results.

Best wishes

Chris